i dont know whats wrong with my kitten

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by gelamarie02, May 21, 2011.

1. gelamarie02

gelamarie02 New Member

I found a kitten outside of our gates, huddled up in the corner. I decided to take it in and my mother agreed. The neighbors say that my kitten, Trudis, was with her other siblings but they died. During the first days that we had her, she had great appetite. She eats regularly and my mother says that she poops too. She looked healthier and a little chubbier. After some time, we noticed her breathing. We don't know when it started, though. She breathes quickly and deeply. Her appetite's less now. Sometimes, she doesn't eat. My sister and father took her to the vet and someone suggested she has FIP. I researched it in the net and I couldn't believe it because they don't have proof. She doesn't poop, she doesn't like drinking water and the medicine the vet provided her, vitamin and antibiotic, she still pees and sleeps most of the time. She likes to hide and doesn't bother coming out for some time. I just read an article thats about heart diseases in cats. Im worried about her. Please, help. She's sleepy, I can see her eyes drooping but when she lays down, she gets up quickly. Sometimes, all of the sudden, she meows, then stays quiet or opens her mouth to breathe. Ill take her to the vet this monday. Is there something I can do for her before I take her there or after? Ive been reading articles on the internet and there are so many symptoms. Im panicking.

gelamarie02, May 21, 2011
  2. gelamarie02

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

This kitty sounds like it is in a very bad state! If she is not eating and drinking, there is likely an underlying condition causing this.

For sure, take her to the vet, describe all the conditions you have seen, because some times with animals the only way you can get a full diagnosis is though troubleshooting the symptoms, a blood test, and an xray might not show up any parasites, or things caught in her digestive tract, and in this case only the symptoms would diagnose.

If you start a course of Antibiotic you need to continue it completely, as the bacteria can become resistant to the antibiotic if started and stopped. You can force the pills down her throat by lightly gripping her jaw and pulling her head back, her mouth will open slightly and you can pop the pill in. This might help her heal / get her her appetite back. But if she is not eating or drinking, let the vet know, they can put her on an IV which could save her, as prolonged dehydration in cats can lead to even worse conditions.

Good Luck!

Scottyxx, Sep 10, 2012
  3. gelamarie02

steph84 Well-Known Member

Any update on your kitty? Aw that sounds so sad! I hate to see an animal suffering. I hope the little baby is doing well now. Your story sounds like one of my feral cats. We found him at the edge of our driveway and he wouldn't budge. He is better now, but has a lot of socializing issues.

steph84, Sep 14, 2012
  4. gelamarie02

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Please let us know an update! It is so sad not knowing, and we might be able to help once we know more.

Scottyxx, Sep 14, 2012
Ask a Question