How to save a choking cat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jessi, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Mar 30, 2012
    Jenny Heart likes this.
  2. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have had many cats and I have yet to see one that could get out of its mouth what it got in by itself in the first place. As for the needle mentioned in the article, I cannot imagine under what circumstances would a needle find its way into a cat's mouth. Messing around with the sewing basket?

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Probably so. I can't think of many other ways it'd happen, but cats do seem to love craft baskets (all that yarn!). I personally keep mine up at all times, but hey, maybe other people leave theirs out and it's good to know you shouldn't try to remove it yourself.

Jessi, Apr 1, 2012
  4. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Needle in the cat's mouth is definitely time for a visit to the vet. Bad luck if the nearest vet is five hours' drive away.

Victor Leigh, Apr 2, 2012
  5. Jessi

magickat Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of instance of choking in kittens but holding them upside down did the trick and they were fine. Older cats seem to deal with any such issues themselves. I agree though that if it was a needle i would go straight to the vets.

magickat, Apr 11, 2012
  6. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Going to the vet is the best decision when any animal is choking on things like a needle. If a cat is choking on their food slightly I would make sure to have Slippery Elm on hand. If I give this product to my cats when they are choking on a hairball, they usually stop choking almost instantly. It's also used for humans, with sore throats.

Jenny Heart, Apr 30, 2012
  7. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jenny, I've never heard of Slippery Elm before. I tried looking it up, but it was mostly on what humans use it for. How do you give it to a cat? Is it in pill form or liquid or...?

Jessi, Apr 30, 2012
Ask a Question