How to help prevent cat bladder stones

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Alli, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Alli

Alli Well-Known Member

My cat had bladder stones a couple of years ago that he had to have removed surgically. He is on the prescription diet food for the stones, but I'm still scared they will come back. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do to help prevent them?

Alli, Nov 28, 2011
  2. Alli

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

A raw diet will do wonders for your cat and preventing UTI (urinary tract infections). If you feed your cat a lot of kibble (dry food) then that is a big part of the problem, and it's a well-known, documented issue in cat nutrition.

An all raw diet is optimal for all cats, which are obligate (strict) carnivores. They do not need *any* vegetable matter, and in fact lack the proper enzymes to digest plant material. Some cats nibble on grass in the wild, but that's about it. All of their nutrients come from muscle meat, organ, bone and even skin, fur and feathers, though you can avoid that last bit for your own sanity.

The main reason kibble contributes to blockages is an inherent lack of moisture, since cats evolved as desert animals to get their water from meat (which is about 80% water, just like us humans). So, cats won't always drink enough when eating kibble, and a cat on a raw diet will be properly hydrated, expel waste properly and have much fewer problems with both stool odor and UTI or urinary crystallization/blockages. Another important point is that for cats who eat FAST (like my little guy), chewing raw food slows them down and prepares their stomach acids for incoming food for proper digestion, since they have much faster digestive tracts than humans. The benefits are just enormous with raw food, and not to be disregarded due to human squeamishness. ;)

Check out this site for more info on raw diets for cats. http://www.catinfo.org/

MaxKitteh, Nov 28, 2011
Ask a Question