How to get a cat with diabetes to eat better

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jenny Heart, May 2, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Our cat Tinker had diabetes, and is an older cat. i worry about him eating enought to keep his strength up, and help his recovery time go smoothly. I've been adding just a couple of healthy catnip treats to his food. He seems to eat better now. He's also more playful, and active during the day. I also give this to him with his evening meal. This helps him have several times where he feels more active. I also use Blue's cat food, which also helps him eat in a healthy manner.

Jenny Heart, May 2, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I know that as the cat gets older sometimes it is easier for them to digest soft wet food rather than dry. Maybe if you just fed Tinker wet food, of still good quality, he would feel better. One of my mothers in law cat has serious health issues because of the bad food back in 2007. She also has trouble getting him to maintain his weight. Lately he has been throwing up any dry food he eats so she has switched him completely over to wet food and he is doing better. The other cat is quit jealous of course. :D

HappyRocinante, Jun 9, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Beth23 Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny

My cat Kiki has diabetes to. He is the black and white in my avatar. I use a brand called "Old school" that I get at pet-co. Fancy feast also has some canned food thats more healthy for a diabetic cat but you have to read the cans. He has no problem eating, he is constantly hungry but it did take a while for us to get him to eat the healthier cat foods. We slowly mixed it with his old brand. At first we bought the cat food specifically made for diabetic cats but between the insulin, needles and food it was just to costly.

Is your cat being finicky or will he not eat anything at all since his illness ?

Beth

Beth23, Aug 14, 2012
Ask a Question