How Often Do You Brush Your Cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

I have to brush my cat three times a week if I want to reduce a lot of shedding in my house. I have a calico and she sheds like crazy. I usually am only able to get time to brush her once a week, but she could really use it more often. How often do you brush your cat? Is there a certain brush out there that you have found that has worked better than others to reduce shedding?

dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

My best friend has an adorable fat cat that loves to be brushed. She just purrs and purrs and gets excited at the sight of it. She'll even get to whining and begging to be brushed. I'm guessing they probably indulge her and brush her quite often since she makes the most adorable sounds and get so happy. The look on her face of intense pleasure is like she stuck her face in a bowl of catnip. It's priceless! They call the brush her long lost lover. XD

QuatreHiead, Jul 22, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

I really don't very often. The younger one needs to be brushed more often because she's long haired and when the seasons are changing, it gets ridiculous. The shedding in general is bad enough, but she actually starts having matting issues and trouble with hairballs because she's trying to clean herself and can't keep up.

Jessi, Jul 22, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat Dolores is a shorthair tabby and I don't brush her that often. I use a glove I bought from the pet store that's like a brushing mitt and has bristles on it. She doesn't really like being brushed and gets grouchy.

ACSAPA, Jul 24, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Depends on the length of hair. For the Persians, daily brushing is necessary. Otherwise there will be quite a bit of matting which can only be removed by clipping. For the other cats, they take very good care of themselves.

Victor Leigh, Jul 24, 2012
Ask a Question