Hair falling out

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Denisab82, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Denisab82

Denisab82 Member

My cat recently started losing her hair along her spine near her tail, and from her tail as well. She doesn't seem to be acting sick or lethargic; is there any particular reason why this might be happening?

Denisab82, Apr 28, 2012
  2. Denisab82

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat had a skin allergy and this happened to him. I gave him cod liver oil and the hair grew back. I also gave him some acidophilus because he was feeling sick and it helped build up the good bacteria in his tummy. This also could possibly be mange. Have you taken your cat in to see a vet? Please do an minimize contact with your other pets. Well wishes for you and your kitty!

steph84, Apr 28, 2012
  3. Denisab82

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ours had this issue when she got a case of fleas, too, and she scratched at the area enough that a bunch of hair fell out.

How old is she? Summer is coming on and cats are naturally shedding this time of year. If she's a bit on the older side, she may just be losing more of it than normal, and is getting some bald patches.

Jessi, Apr 28, 2012
  4. Denisab82

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

It could be fleas like a commenter mentioned, but it may also be from other cats fighting with him. Once my one cat got into a fight with another cat when he accidentally got out of the house. Then, when he came back, he had some hair missing. I would have him checked out by the vet. It may be nothing, and then again the cat may be suffering from a health condition, that needs special attention.

Jenny Heart, Apr 28, 2012
Ask a Question