Giving Your Cat Milk

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dashboardc33, Oct 21, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

I know this topic is very controversial. Some people say that giving their cat milk is good for them and others say that milk is terrible for them. What is your opinion? I don't give my cat milk, but I am wondering who does?

dashboardc33, Oct 21, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.

Most cats are lactose intolerant, so giving them milk can create diarrhea and/or an upset tummy. Some aren't, so they can handle it, but why do it? It's not good for them.... they don't need the extra sugar and whatnot anyway, so I see no reason to do it.

Jessi, Oct 21, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Anayalata Member

I used to give them milk as a treat but one day I came home to find that my cat had accidents of the butt variety all over the house...

Since then I haven't given them an ounce of milk. Oh the clean up... what a bad night that was.

Anayalata, Oct 26, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

Yolanda Well-Known Member

If you want to give your cat milk you can get cat milk that has lessened sugar and little or no lactose. It's the better option if you really want to give it to them, but most of my cats don't even like it. And they can do very well without it. However, some cats love cat milk as a treat so if they do it's a healthier option.

Yolanda, Nov 16, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

mimisweb Member

Milk isn't all that great for most humans, much less for cats. As my mother (who is lactose intolerant) always says, "Milk is best for baby cows." :) I would definitely prefer to spare them the possible upset stomach and diarrhea.

mimisweb, Nov 20, 2012
    Jessi likes this.
  6. dashboardc33

steph84 Well-Known Member

I really don't like giving my cats milk and I don't even like drinking it myself. Cow's milk is made for baby cows, not baby humans and not baby cats. I just think that they like the flavor, but I give it to them in moderation.

steph84, Nov 21, 2012
    Jessi likes this.
  7. dashboardc33

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

When both my cats came into the house as kittens they didn't want to eat hard food (and every time I've given one of my cats wet food they poop all over the house, literally. Bad diarrhea that I don't want to clean up ever again) so I'd give them a little bit of bread and milk to get them to eat something. Not a ton, but some. Now they both (and one of our dogs!) will always try to get my leftover milk when I eat cereal. I don't do that often, so I'll usually split it between the three of them. They'll each drink a little bit every once in a great while. I've never had an issue with it making them sick and they don't get it daily or even weekly.

I've always heard that it's not good for them, but they have it in extreme moderation so I don't see a huge issue with it.

blurinoctober, Dec 10, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Trellum Well-Known Member

I no longer drink cow milk myself, so there is no way I'd ever feed my Bob with it! Cow milk is only good for baby cows, not us! We shouldn't feed out pets with cow milk, that thing is so hard to digest, of course a few folks out there tolerate it quite well, but that doesn't change the fact milk is so hard on the stomach.

Trellum, Mar 21, 2014
  9. dashboardc33

Anne Well-Known Member

Well when I got my cat I was so ignorant about cats I figured milk was one of the sure things to get him. Even as a kitten Twinkle refused the milk which sent me reading. I soon found out milk wasn't for my cat.

Actually, I read conflicting stories so I made the decision to forget about milk altogether. For the time he lived, he had a good diet that excluded milk.

Anne, Dec 26, 2014
  10. dashboardc33

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, I guess it would depend on the cat. As others have pointed out cats can be Lactose Intolerant which I know may seem odd. After all, most of us associated cats with Milk. But the truth be told that isn't always good for a cat. I found that out the hard way with Pepper, she became Lactose Intolerant after having her first litter of kittens.

So, now we don't give out cats any milk at all. They only get water to drink. I think that this is the safest way to go.

pafjlh, Jan 8, 2015
  11. dashboardc33

mimio Active Member

Well, I think there is no harm giving milk for cats. If your cat love it, just feed it milk. Actually maybe that little one won't drink it.

mimio, Jan 16, 2015
Ask a Question