Getting your cat to stop begging

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

I know this question may be weird, but I swear my cat thinks that she is a dog. She is a worse beggar than my dog! Whenever I am making food, or eating it, she is always right there on the counter ready to dig in. I cannot leave the room if there is food on the table because it will be either gone or dug into by the time I get back. She is getting enough food, so I know she isn't starving, but maybe she just wants the good stuff. Is it possible to teach your cat not to beg?? If so, how?

dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

dconklin Active Member

My kitty begs when I am cooking because I always fed them when I was cooking dinner. The only thing is that now she begs even when I am cooking lunch and I can't make her understand that it is not canned food time yet!! She always has dry food down so she is not starving either.

I am not sure what to do about the table food tho. I can leave her alone with food and she will not touch human food. She just begs for her wet food. I have yet to find a way to teach her not to beg.

dconklin, Jul 24, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

What kind of food do you feed your cat? We had issues until we switched to dry food so she wouldn't want table food at all. She never gets on the table any more and the only thing she'd beg for now is when tuna cans are opened. Can't say I blame her there, huh?

Jessi, Jul 24, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

This is what I normally use to solve the problem:
    [​IMG]

I just need to put it over the cat a couple of times and it would get the idea it would be caged if it begs for food, so no more begging, because it doesn't like to be caged.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

She eats dry food most of the time. Once in a while I will treat her to a can of food for her.

That is a really good idea. Can your cat get out of this? I suppose a laundry basket would work just the same as well, huh? Thanks for this idea! I will have to try it to see if she gets the hint.

dashboardc33, Jul 28, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

No, it's not easy for a cat to get out of that. It doesn't work the same way as a laundry basket, either. To put a cat in a laundry basket, you have to pick it up. To use this food cover, all you have to do is put the food cover over the cat. Done.

Actually, where I used to live, we eat while sitting on the floor and that food cover covers the food before we are ready to eat. So when we are ready to eat and the cat sits too close by, then the cat is quarantined under the food cover until we are finished. Usually the cat goes far away when it sees us lifting the food cover.

Victor Leigh, Jul 29, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's all you would do with a laundry basket, too. Flip it over onto the cat. Simply placing a cat into an open laundry basket wouldn't work anyway because they'd just jump out.

Jessi, Jul 30, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Oh, why didn't I think of that! The only times I remembered using the laundry basket for cats was when I was moving the kittens.

Victor Leigh, Jul 31, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The first good example I found of how to trap a cat in a laundry basket was where another cat was holding it down, haha!

Jessi, Aug 8, 2012
Ask a Question