Getting rid of cat dandruff

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dashboardc33, Oct 7, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

Do any of you have cats that have all kinds of cat dandruff? I used to have this problem with my cat. I tried giving my cat a bath with this special no dandruff kitty shampoo, but my cat HATES water, so it did not work so well. I researched some at home remedies and found some to be pretty effective. I tried changing her diet and giving her as much fresh water as she can handle and nothing worked until I tried baby powder.
    I figured that since it is safe for babies, it should be safe for pets as well. I would contact your vet before using, but I just patted some on my cat every day for a week and brushed her out and it got rid of her dandruff in no time.

dashboardc33, Oct 7, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

My parents have an older cat that has a lot dandruff and one of the things they've done is to use an air humidifier in their bedroom upstairs where she spends most of her time. Since your cat hates bathes, you could try simply wiping her skin gently with a moist cloth. I believe they also make skin moisturizers specifically for cats.

msmonkeyfeet, Oct 9, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat hates water too so I send him to the groomers. I also bought him some waterless foam shampoo on Amazon for around $8. You just pump the foam in your hands and run it in his hair. Then you give him a good brush and you get a super clean kitty.

steph84, Oct 12, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could use a spray bottle and mist them, then comb whatever medicine you are using through their fur? It would probably have to be a spray bottle that wasn't very loud when you pumped it however.

OhioTom76, Oct 15, 2012
Ask a Question