Fur everywhere!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kat74, Nov 25, 2011.

1. kat74

kat74 Active Member

Our cat has been shedding its far on the sofas an I think its shedding more than normal. Is there a way to stop it from shedding and how can I get the far out of my seats. Some hoe its not coming out.

kat74, Nov 25, 2011
  2. kat74

steph84 Well-Known Member

You should brush your cat more often or invest in a deshedding brush like The Furminator. Check out some demonstration videos on Youtube. I thought that my long hair cat was going to have tons of fur to be removed, but I was wrong. My short haired cat needed that brush more than anything. His under coat was thick and I'm just glad that I removed it before it ended up on my carpet or on my sofa. I got the brush last month and it was worth it! My cats' coats are shiny and healthy looking too.

steph84, Nov 28, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. kat74

Da!sy Member

My cat sheds 'more than normal' according to my vet. What's normal? I don't know, but her white fur is everywhere. I use the furminator and it helps. Also, the vet has her on a dry food diet that is supposed to reduce shedding. She likes the food and I hope to see less fur on my furniture and clothes. The dry food diet she's on is also supposed to reduce hair balls and I think that's working: she hasn't thrown up in a while.

Da!sy, Nov 29, 2011
  4. kat74

magickat Well-Known Member

Obviously cats shed more fur at certain times of year. I use a brush to help get fur out of the carpets and sellotape is really good for removing it from clothes and furniture. You can get special vacuum cleaners designed to deal with pet hair if it is a real problem.

magickat, Dec 15, 2011
  5. kat74

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with brushing! It's really the only thing that is going to help. Cats shed.. it's natural for them to do so. You can help the process by brushing out excess fur.

Belligerent, Dec 16, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  6. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think I am lucky. Green Seven doesn't shed. Or if he did, it's probably minimal because there's hardly any cat fur even on my laptop which he likes to sleep on.

Victor Leigh, Dec 16, 2011
  7. kat74

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

The only way I can think of is to brush the cat. I have to brush my cats at least once a week. Hope this helps!

Wahcashmom, Dec 17, 2011
  8. kat74

Brushing the cat serves at least two purposes. One, it removes the excess hair before it falls off. Two, it's a great way to have quality time with your cat. Three, it helps to remove fleas, too.

Victor Leigh, Dec 17, 2011
  9. kat74

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I agree that the Furminator is a great brush to help your cat shed excess fur more easily without having lots of fur lying around the house.
    For the fur that does get off and you want cleaned off your furniture, I can recommend the pet hair magnet by pet mate. There are also sticky rollers available but you need to by new sticky rolls to put on your roller time after time; which makes it expensive. The pet hair magnet doesn't have a sticky roller system but can be used over and over again. I wrote a review about it in the review section which you can check out here (also a link to the official site included): http://www.cathow.com/threads/pet-hair-magnet-by-pet-mate.772/.

Yolanda, Dec 17, 2011
  10. kat74

Alli Well-Known Member

I think brushing is really the only solution- there isn't really anything you can do to prevent shedding completely.

Alli, Dec 19, 2011
  11. kat74

Either that or you can get a Sphynx like this one:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Dec 20, 2011
Ask a Question