Fox Valley Humane Association wanted to KILL my cat.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by JenVarsity, Apr 1, 2012.

1. JenVarsity

JenVarsity Member

Long story short...a cat appeared on our land about 10 months ago, we let him stay. Then he disappeared one night. He's a farm cat so when I didn't see him the next day, I wasn't too concerned. A few days later I learned, someone took him to the humane association. They wanted $96.20 to get him back, which I didn't have. I had just spent $280 at the vet on him. They wold not take a payment plan and would not adopt the cat back to us since they had FREE cat adoptions. Instead they were willing to put over $200 into him themselves and then euthanize him because he was not using their litterbox if we didn't pay for him.

Broke my heart. Here is the full blog that was writeen regarding the issue.
    http://wisconsinwatchdog.blogspot.ca/2012/03/power-to-kill.html

We did get him back and I do have tags on him now, but I will never provide another cent to their association. How could they choose to spend money on an animal and then put him down when he had a place to go back to? That's not "humane" at all...

JenVarsity, Apr 1, 2012
    footballtim likes this.
  2. JenVarsity

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

This sounds like a big row brewing up. Now how we get the other side of the story from the Fox Valley Humane Association? Any suggestions anyone?

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
  3. JenVarsity

JenVarsity Member

They haven't returned anyone's calls including the press or my own. (I am still missing his release paperwork; they released the cat to my fiance without it.). I do have everything on video, but cannot get the videos to upload to my laptop. At one time, you can hear me ask, "Let me understand this...you could drop the fees or adopt him back to us in good faith, but you are choosing not to?". The gal. Behind the counter replied with, "Yes.". Several other no-kill shelters offered to transfer the animal to their shelter and were also declined. On gal was able to get through the first day; she called me and advised her groups would be pulling ALL their donations and relocating them.

I work with part of the county's trap, neuter, and release program which unfortunately was granted through FVHA for this year so they will be seeing me again, but I am working to move the program for next year.

JenVarsity, Apr 1, 2012
  4. JenVarsity

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

That is absolutely horrible that they wouldn't give you your cat back. I think it's kind of ridiculous that they couldn't even adopt the cat back to you. There was nothing wrong with the cat right? Like the cat was considered healthy enough, physically and mentally, to live in captivity? I don't understand why they wouldn't give your cat back. It really just has me stumped. And it's crazy that they gave your cat back to your fiance, but not you. It seems like they are acting unethically.

dkramarczyk, Apr 2, 2012
  5. JenVarsity

Sounds like time for some drastic action. Like turning cat burglar. Or a simple ruse like wanting to just hold your cat one last time. Then just walking out of the place with your cat. If they touch you, you can sue them for assault. They can't sue you for taking what actually belongs to you in the first place. Just get your cat out. Then stand by for an epic legal battle. I am sure there are plenty of people who will put up a war chest to fight the case.

Whatever happens, don't just let the poor cat be killed without a fight. A big fight.

Victor Leigh, Apr 2, 2012
  6. JenVarsity

Becky Well-Known Member

That's awful! I hope no one else has to suffer the way you did. I'm glad Funny Face is back at home where he belongs though :)

Becky, Apr 4, 2012
  7. JenVarsity

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Funny Face. That's a really cute name. Your cat is cute too. I'm so glad you eventually managed to get'em home.

dkramarczyk, Apr 4, 2012
  8. JenVarsity

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I am so glad you got Funny Face back!

SheWolfSilver, Apr 4, 2012
  9. JenVarsity

Funny Face is safe and sound? When did that happen? I don't see anything in this thread about his return. What did I miss? Anyway I am really glad that it has ended well. As for the FVHA, I think this is not the end of the story yet.

Victor Leigh, Apr 5, 2012
  10. JenVarsity

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I think that it was horrible that they wouldn't take a payment plan. Vet visits are expensive. Veterarians should always try to allow for payment options, so all pets can be taken care of in a compassionate manner. I know all too well how expensive it is to make more than one visit to the vet. My one cat has diabeties. I don't know what I would do without being able to make payments.

Jenny Heart, Apr 9, 2012
  11. JenVarsity

Jessi Well-Known Member

I had another thread going on here: http://www.cathow.com/threads/pay-the-reclaim-fee-or-were-killing-it.1043

I didn't see this one, but the link and info there says they got Funny Face back. A friend of the family loaned them the money to get him returned.

Jessi, Apr 12, 2012
  12. JenVarsity

steph84 Well-Known Member

Aw, poor Funny Face (LOVE the name!)! I am glad to hear that Funny Face is back at home. Thanks for the update. I read Jessi's post and was so worried for your fam. This sounds horrible. Sorry your family had to go through all of this mess.

steph84, Apr 13, 2012
  13. JenVarsity

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. Shelters are supposed to find homes for cats. Killing a cat that already has a loving home goes against the entire spirit of what is supposed to be a safe haven for animals. It's disgusting that they were going to kill a beloved pet over money. Shelters are supposed to be charitable. And she wasn't even asking for charity, just a little extra time to pay.

ACSAPA, Aug 11, 2012
  14. JenVarsity

I think it's high time that the laws governing animals shelters be revised. My proposal is that only animal shelters with an absolute no-kill policy can be allowed to be called animal shelters. All the rest must be renamed. Perhaps calling them Animal Extermination Centers would be much more accurate.

Victor Leigh, Aug 12, 2012
  15. JenVarsity

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear the aftermath of this. I wonder if anyone got fired and if any policies were changed. Now that their disgusting behavior is public and a lot of people know that they threatened to murder a cat to punish the owner for not having $96.20, I wonder how they're dealing with the backlash.

ACSAPA, Aug 13, 2012
  16. JenVarsity

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't know that we could ever get them to call it that, but I definitely agree with the idea of renaming them. To call them "shelters" implies that the animals will be taken care of and not just gotten "rid of" eventually.

Jessi, Aug 13, 2012
  17. JenVarsity

footballtim Well-Known Member

It sounds like that place is run by bullies who enjoy pushing people around. They need to be told that they are in the service industry, and that they are shooting themselves in the foot with their poor treatment of customers. I am so glad you were persistent enough to be reunited with your loved one.

footballtim, Aug 16, 2012
Ask a Question