Feline chlamydia or other STD

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by MarshCat, Jul 21, 2016.

1. MarshCat

MarshCat Member

So, my sister's cat, Hansel, was a stray that she rescued. He had gunky stuff in his eyes when she got him. He also had loose poop and some farting going on. Yucky. So, she took him to the vet to get shots, fixed, etc, and the vet said that the other issues were probably allergies (eyes) and his food.

However, more recently, through disgusting deposits, we discovered that the poop and farting issue was more likely because he has a bad, bad case of round worms. (Meds acquired and administered!)

But the eyes were getting worse, and he was sneezing, and this was before she had worked out what the worms was, so my sister took him to the vet again. The vet then said that he probably had either feline chlamydia or some other STD (but not a fatal one like feline leukemia, etc.) She was given eye drops to help him clear up his eyes, but basically told that the other would be something his immune system would have to fight.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I'm wondering if the cat is really ok and if he can fight this without some other medicine? It seems like eye drops is a little bit on the understated side for something like this. I'm not really sure how it works.

MarshCat, Jul 21, 2016
  2. MarshCat

AnnaBanana Member

Oh my goodness. A stray came to my home a few weeks ago, he had so much gunk in his eyes in that same way, and other problems. Would a person set a cat out somewhere just for that reason to get rid of one? Will this infect my other cats? Eek, I probably need to take all my kittens to the vet.

AnnaBanana, Jul 27, 2016
  3. MarshCat

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this before so I read up on it. Here is a link for feline chlamydia that you might find interesting.
    Apparently they do need an antibiotic to fight it. I am surprised the vet would only give eye drops.

http://www.vetconm.com/chlamydia-in-cats-its-not-an-std/

Susan Brown, Aug 2, 2016
    Neo and MarshCat like this.
  4. MarshCat

MarshCat Member

Thank you for the article, Susan. Maybe I will have my sister read that and call the vet again. I guess it's possible that the eye drops were antibiotic in nature, but I don't think that they are.

My sister has not be entirely pleased with this vet either, and so she is thinking about taking this cat to the vet where I take mine now.

The worms issue is all cleared up now, thankfully, and his eyes do seem to be improving. He still sneezes, though, and we just don't' really know if there is a way to know if anything is getting better. Maybe a trip to the other vet is in the near future ...

MarshCat, Aug 2, 2016
  5. MarshCat

Neo Member

I have never heard of this either. I thought animals like cats and dogs couldn't get human diseases. I have read many studies showing that it was technically impossible, but I guess this is something completely different.

I never had seen stuff like this with the strays I have came in counter with in the past either.

Neo, Aug 10, 2016
  6. MarshCat

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that the worms are cleaned up. Did she get him in to see another vet? I hope she is able to get him fixed up soon so that he can start enjoying his life with your sister. She has a good heart to take in a kitty that needs so much medical treatments. He is blessed to have her.

Susan Brown, Aug 10, 2016
Ask a Question