Favorite Breeds?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by blurinoctober, Nov 25, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

My cats have always just been mutt-cats. I've never been able to tell what breeds they actually are! What are your favorite breeds to have or recommend? Or does it matter to you? It's never made much of a difference, but sometime in my life I think I want a Maine Coon. I've always loved big, fuzzy cats and I've always had small ones.

blurinoctober, Nov 25, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I have never had cats before before I got my two fluff balls. We got very lucky, as we took them off Kijiji. They are a mix, they are, from looking online, Ragdoll crosses, or Ragamuffins. They are the best cats ever. Knowing this now, if I ever got more cats, I would stick to the same breed.

Scottyxx, Nov 26, 2012
    ACSAPA and blurinoctober like this.
  3. blurinoctober

steph84 Well-Known Member

I am so in the same boat as you Scotty. Anything puffy, huge and fluffy! I love Ragdolls, Persians, Maine Coons and more. I also enjoy the super cute little breeds like Munchkins. I just want to carry them all.

steph84, Nov 27, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

If I can I would like to have a breeding pair of Siamese. Not run-of-the-mill Siamese. The Siamese I have in mind must have nine points. Those points are the black markings found on the ears, paws, tail, nose and inside the mouth. In Thailand such Siamese are very valuable and very rare.

Victor Leigh, Nov 27, 2012
    ACSAPA and blurinoctober like this.
  5. blurinoctober

gwydion New Member

My favourite is the chausie, a cross between a wild cat, a jungle cat and a domestic cat. They are huge and territorial but very soppy. Think scaled-down mountain lion. Very affectionate, but also brilliant climbers. A great cat to have if you do not want your partner to clutter the house with nick-nacks!

They can be lead trained and behave in some ways like dogs. However, you can't readily leave them as they become depressed. They make strong bonds with their owners for life.

gwydion, Nov 27, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  6. blurinoctober

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just looked up the chausie. Quite a remarkable cat. You are probably right about a chausie being a scaled-down mountain lion. Here's a chausie for your viewing pleasure:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Nov 28, 2012
  7. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have always had mutts and wouldn't have it any other way. <3

When I was younger, I really wanted a Persian. After having long haired cats, though, I really don't have any desire for one now. I still think they're gorgeous, but so much work to keep looking that way.

Jessi, Dec 5, 2012
  8. blurinoctober

Leroy and Ava Well-Known Member

My Fav breeds have to be maine coon and Persian :) Leroy is my maine coon boy 2 years and Ava maine coon x chincilla persiana and Dudley my flat faced persian is 5months. There temprments and persnalitys r amazing! and I also love Savannahs.But all in all I love all cats!!! cats r just amazing beautiful animals.

Leroy and Ava, Dec 14, 2012
  9. blurinoctober

amberra824 Active Member

My cats have never been purebred anything - we haven't even been able to specify a single breed that may be part of their ancestry. All we know is that they are short-haired. However, I've always adored Siamese ever since I was young. They seem so delicate and fragile, and their markings are simply beautiful. Plus, I used to read books about extremely clever Siamese who helped a man solve murders, and ever since then I've always wanted a pair of Siamese to name after the cats in the book, KoKo and YumYum.

Recently, well a few years ago actually, I stumbled across the Bengal cat breed. Ever since then I've dreamed of owning a Bengal. I've done hours of research to see what it takes to own (and possible breed) these exquisite cats, and as soon as I have the time and money to invest into them, I will own at least one of pet quality. As for breeding...I'll probably never actually get to that, but I'd still like a Bengal as a pet.

amberra824, Jan 23, 2013
  10. blurinoctober

Something like that has recently happened to me as well! I never really knew the breed existed (I didn't know much of anything about cat breeds), but instantly fell in love when I heard that it did! I can't get one right now, I don't have the right conditions to make it happy, but when I live somewhere else I'll instantly consider going out and getting one!

blurinoctober, Jan 24, 2013
  11. blurinoctober

amberra824 Active Member

They're just so beautiful, I don't know how anyone could not love them! Their patterns are superb, and I love the ones with the more feral-looking facial structure and body build. Plus, their temperament are perfect for what I'm looking for. They're more energetic than the average cat, yet still have the cuddliness - it's perfect for what I want! I wish I could get one now, but like you, I wouldn't be able to provide the means to keep them content. I'm saving up, though, and counting the pennies towards the day I'll be able to purchase everything that I possibly can to keep a Bengal happy. In the meantime, I need to decide what coloration I'd like the most, and which pattern type. That's the hardest decision I've ever had to make, since they're all so beautiful!

amberra824, Jan 24, 2013
  12. blurinoctober

It sounds like you're putting a ton of effort into this! I'm glad - a lot of people get animals with no knowledge or money put into caring for them. Whichever kitty you end up getting will be very lucky to have you!

blurinoctober, Jan 26, 2013
  13. blurinoctober

amberra824 Active Member

Thank you :) I get so upset hearing about animals that are abandoned because the owner didn't research them first, and didn't realize how much care would be required. I don't ever want to make that mistake, and don't plan to.

amberra824, Jan 28, 2013
  14. blurinoctober

jowjo5 Active Member

Our cats are basic cats, no particular breed. In fact one is a rescue who was left at a rest area with his sister and brother. He is sweet but a bit shy. Our other two cats are from a farm locally. So we went and took two brothers who are black tigers and have the sweetest personalities.
    As far as breed of cats? Nope , just basic cats and that is good for us. To me cats are cats, but then again I have never owned a pure bred cat, so maybe there is a difference.

jowjo5, Feb 14, 2013
  15. blurinoctober

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

In many years when my house cats have passed on, I intend to get involved in Savannah cat breeding. I know there is a lot of work involved, but they are gorgeous animals and truly unique among domestic cats. I really want to get involved with the earlier generations of them, if not feral then F1's.

BTCGuru81, Mar 28, 2013
  16. blurinoctober

Cacophobias New Member

I adore Scottish folds and munchkin kitties. The ears on a Scottish fold look so delicate and sweet, making the cat look like it's sad and I might be a horrible person for thinking that that is cute but I can't get over how precious a small animal is when it looks sad, it makes me want to hug it and love it til it feels better. Munchkin cats look like babies forever. They are the toy dogs of cats. Combine these two with white fur and I think I would melt into oblivion.

Cacophobias, Apr 18, 2013
  17. blurinoctober

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Your cat Pussington is so gorgeous that I would look for that breed in the future. But I only adopt shelter cats or take in strays. I doubt that a fluff ball like yours would turn up in a shelter so I would check Craigslist. There are so many animals in shelters that need forever homes that I would never buy a pet from a breeder.

ACSAPA, Jun 25, 2013
  18. blurinoctober

Trellum Well-Known Member

For me it would be the Norwegian forest cat. I saw this breed for the first time in Oslo, the lady who lived next to me in Lovisenberg had a lot cats of this same breed. It was love at first sight! They were so heavy and fluffy!!! I thought: ''I must get a cat like that in the future!''. I'm still waiting to get one, I might get one once I move to the Netherlands.

Trellum, Oct 20, 2013
Ask a Question