Excessive shedding

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by footballtim, Sep 9, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

Our older cat, Tabitha (in my avatar) sheds hair like crazy all the time. She has done this since we got her four years ago. We used to brush her a few times a week, but she would still shed hair.

When we have time to brush her every day, it obviously helps more. When we don't, cat hair gets all over the house. We are constantly dusting and vacuuming.

footballtim, Sep 9, 2012
  2. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Try getting a de-shedding tool, such as the furminator. I ordered mine from china on ebay for $7, it will put you back around $40 in a pet store, but what it does is not only comb the hair, but it pulls out and removes the undercoat, where cats mostly shed from, they claim to reduce shedding by around 90%.

I have tried and used it, and I do notice a difference when I use it, the only problem is one of my cats hates it, the other one loves it. For the one that hates it though, he lets me vacuum him...yes, I vacuum the cat...this helps a lot!

Scottyxx, Sep 10, 2012
  3. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

Wow, I never knew about anything like a furminator. I will definitely try this. She is really itching a lot lately, and I think that removing excess hair may help a lot with that. Of course, some of the itching may be caused by her kidney disease.

footballtim, Sep 10, 2012
  4. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

The guy in the pet store actually recommended it to me! But like I said, it can be an expensive experiment, so maybe order the cheap one from china (on ebay, just search for cat deshedding tool.) see if it works out for you, then try the more expensive one. One of mine loved it, one of mine hated it.

Scottyxx, Sep 11, 2012
Ask a Question