Entertaining Our Furry Friends

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mariposa, May 14, 2013.

1. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

Is there anything in particular you do to keep kitty occupied (and awake!!) when they
    seem to be more interested in lounging around and not doing much of anything?

We have a number of interactive toys that our cat likes... and we play with her with
    a laser cat toy sometimes. I also have a butterfly video she likes watching, and a
    "cat sitter" video with birds, fish, etc.

mariposa, May 14, 2013
  2. mariposa

steph84 Well-Known Member

A laser! I always use the laser for my kitties when they are bored and start causing trouble. I just make sure not to point it in their eyes. I also like to open up a window and let them look out and watch the birds. I tell them to "get the birds" and they run around like crazy!

steph84, May 16, 2013
  3. mariposa

Jessica New Member

Sometimes it can depend on your cats personality. Some cats just don`t want to do anything much. I know my Grandmother bought tons of toys for her cat, but she never does anything with them. I know cats tend to like things like plastic bags and cardboard boxes. They like to sit on them or go in an out of them. If you want to interact with them then obviously strings or fluffy feather-like objects can entertain them. I know my cats sometimes like our scratching post, and they love finding new places to hide or hang out in.

Jessica, May 19, 2013
  4. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

Yes, it's very important to not point that laser at eyes (kitty or people eyes, for that matter.) :) Our cat likes to watch the birds, too... she has a perch and can see not only birds, but rabbits and squirrels out there, too. Sometimes a dog or another cat will go through the yard.

I'm not sure how common it is, but when there's snow on the ground and we can see tracks, there have been deer pretty close to her window, too... kinda weird knowing that goes on while we're sleeping at night. I always wondered if she sits there and stares them down. :rolleyes:

mariposa, May 19, 2013
  5. mariposa

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat can be easily entertained for hours just by my dangling ribbons, yarn or streamers. Unfortunately, she can also be entertained by dangling toilet paper, so I don't keep it in the dispenser anymore because I don't want it shredded.

ACSAPA, May 19, 2013
  6. mariposa

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I have a sort of feather on a stick that's really long. It's more like a small boa on a big stick. I bought it for Sibyl for Christmas and Alice probably plays with it more. I can get both of their attentions with it no matter what, but it's very difficult to get them to play with it if they'd really rather sleep. When they're in the mood, though, it drives them crazy! They'll jump and run all over the place for it, chasing it wherever I move it. It's great. Sibyl will even try to eat it sometimes x]

blurinoctober, May 25, 2013
  7. mariposa

jules Active Member

My cat only plays for a short while and just goes back to lounging or looking out of the window. I have tried various toys, strings, laser toys but it doesn't like that at all. The only way to keep it entertained for a longer while is playing videos of birds or other cats. That's the only time it is alert and looks around.

jules, Jun 5, 2013
  8. mariposa

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I pet her and love on her. If she's still not up or anything, I run my hand across the surface near her to get her attention.
    Usually Neko starts following my hand with her eyes and eventually starts playing.

Epicfied, Jun 5, 2013
Ask a Question