Drinking out of the faucet

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

Does your cat drink out of the faucet? It seems like this is pretty common for cats to do. I thought it was just my cat, by I have heard of other cats doing this too. My cat will sit next to my sink and meow until I turn the faucet on. She almost refuses to drink out of her water dish. The only way she will is if we are gone for the day and she is really thirsty.

dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep! They don't always, but my older cat used to ask for it regularly. She really prefers her water to be moving, so even when it's in a dish, she'll paw at the dish to "shake it" first. Out of a faucet is obviously preferred for her, though.

Jessi, Jul 22, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat drinks out of leaky faucets. So if I don't turn the faucet off tightly enough, I'll find her drinking individual drops as they fall out of the faucet.

ACSAPA, Jul 26, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Not my cats. The sound of the water coming out of the tap would make them stay away. Except for when I am taking a bath. That's when they would sit around the bathroom door to wait for me to come out. Maybe they were worried that I would be drowned by all that water.

Victor Leigh, Jul 28, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

The only reason they'd be concerned about that is then they'd worry who would feed them. They need to make sure they have a source of food still!

Jessi, Jul 28, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

That is interested to hear that there are more cats that do this. I wonder what it is about running water that attracts them? I think it is cute, but sometimes a pay to always have to turn the water on. It probably wastes a lot of water as well.

dashboardc33, Jul 28, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, I really don't think that they were worried about a source of food because they were all pretty good hunters. Some of them even go so far as to check out the bathroom before I go in to take a bath. Kind of like security guards doing a bomb scan.

Victor Leigh, Jul 29, 2012
Ask a Question