Drinking from the toilet?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CinnamonKiss, Dec 14, 2012.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Has your cat ever drank from the toilet? Is your cat big enough to even try?
    We've caught Dusty drinking from the toilet twice. The first time we redoubled our efforts (by "we" I mean my dad because he never closes the stupid lid) to keep the lid closed when not in use. The second time was a slip on someone's (dad's) part. The water was clean both times luckily. Our other cat, Sassy, is too small to even try to drink out of the toilet. Dusty is a behemoth of a cat and looks even larger when he stretches out, so it's no surprise he could lean over the seat to drink. We have fresh water constantly available but the only conclusion we could come to was the toilet water was cold and that's why he drank out of it.

CinnamonKiss, Dec 14, 2012
  2. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Both of mine do, they love drinking from the toilet! I really dont like them doing it, as I worry about cleaning products and just what they are actually supping up along with the water. No matter how much water I leave for them, and whether its running or not, they still do it. Pussington also will refuse to drink from her water bowl, and will only drink from glasses of water I leave behind me.

Scottyxx, Dec 15, 2012
  3. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Dorian used to sometimes! It wasn't a daily thing, but I caught him in the toilet a few times. Sibyl and Alice have to try and I hope they don't!

blurinoctober, Dec 16, 2012
  4. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I know I have seen them sniff the water, but never actually drink it. They don't seem to really care about the bathrooms at all, so it's not really an issue for us.

Jessi, Dec 17, 2012
  5. CinnamonKiss

Yeah, toilets seem like a terrible place for the cats to be interested in, with all the cleaning products and considering its use. That's a really odd quirk, Scottyxx! Seems like your cat likes cold water only? Does she snub it if you put ice water in her bowl? We put ice in our pets water sometimes during the summer and they drink most temperatures just fine.

Maybe just a cats curiosity, blurinoctober? Hopefully it doesn't become a regular thing for any of them if the other two do try.:)

Jessi, you're lucky they have 0 interest!! Dusty gets weirdly attached at different times and will follow us into the bathroom. He sleeps on the divider between the toilet and sinks sometimes. Wow, I'm realizing Dusty is racking up a lot of bathroom time, with following us and sleeping in there!

CinnamonKiss, Dec 21, 2012
  6. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have known one of mine to occasionally sleep in the bathroom, but it would've been to sleep on the clean towels or washcloths, etc. She doesn't care about the toilet itself. It doesn't give her anything of importance or interest, I don't think.

Jessi, Dec 23, 2012
  7. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I think so! He was probably like, "mhm, there's some yummy-looking water in this room.. but it's up high? Why? Is it extra yummy?!" and then decided to jump right in to figure it out! Hah.

blurinoctober, Dec 23, 2012
  8. CinnamonKiss

tajnz Well-Known Member

Strangely none of my cats have ever been interested in toilets, or bathrooms for that matter. Instead they tend to hang out in the family living room, the kitchen or our bedrooms. :) I have seen videos of cats on YouTube that have been trained to use and then flush toilets though ha ha.

tajnz, Dec 23, 2012
  9. CinnamonKiss

somenights New Member

I don't like you jessi. And one of the cats around our house always gets into our bathroom and drinks the toilet water, I thought that was supposed to be a dog thing? One night I walked into the bathroom and flipped the light switch on, it must have startled the cat because he fell right in. So, I figured that was a decent enough punishment.

somenights, Dec 31, 2012
  10. CinnamonKiss

I thought it was a dog thing as well until Dusty did it!! Did the cat that fell in stop after that incident? I would think it would be too scared or at least too shocked to try again ever!!

CinnamonKiss, Jan 1, 2013
  11. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

o_O:(

I think we stereotype it that way because dogs are taller and can reach in easier usually, so we see it happen more often. That doesn't mean that cats won't sometimes try to climb in to sneak a drink, though, too.

Jessi, Jan 3, 2013
  12. CinnamonKiss

True! We've only had dogs that were too short to reach, so it was a shock for us. Dusty can drink from the toilet without jumping on the side so that just made it even more surprising. He's a long cat.:p

CinnamonKiss, Jan 4, 2013
Ask a Question