Dogs in the litter tray?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by GavinMcresty, May 9, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

I was just wondering whether anyone's dog(s) ever used the litter tray? Were they encouraged to? How did your cat react to this? Our dogs never showed any interest in the litter tray and were never encouraged to use it. I was just wondering whether this was the case with everyone or just us.

GavinMcresty, May 9, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

One time I came home from a weekend away and walked into my bedroom to find Bandit (my girlfriend's dog) in the litterbox. He was just standing in it, sniffing around. I have no idea if he used it, tried to eat cat poop, or if he was simply standing there. Regardless, it was odd. He hasn't done it since! We pulled him out of the box and mildly scolded him and it seems to have worked. I much prefer just letting him outside and letting the cats have the litterbox.

blurinoctober, May 14, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

steph84 Well-Known Member

My aunt's dog did this last weekend. No one let her out so she did it in the cat litter tray. I'd rather have my dog do it there than on my kitchen floor. It probably feels like the right place because it's made out of sand and they can dig so I don't find it too odd.

steph84, May 16, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

jose26425 Member

From what I understand, it's relatively common for dogs to attempt to find a light snack in the litterbox. I have a Golden Doodle who is absolutely amazing; I very rarely have an problems with him whatsoever. However, I have on more than one occasion found him munching on a kitty treat. After a little research, I found that canines are attracted to cat feces because of the cats natural diet. Dogs are omnivores, whereas cat food is mostly made of meat (since cats are carnivores). Cat feces are very high in protein, and the dogs crave that high-protein meaty flavor they find in the feces. While nasty, it's more common than you would think. It's not safe, however, considering the worms that dog can catch from digesting feces. Do what you can to keep him away.

jose26425, Jun 4, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

Rachael Member

I hate it!

Rachael, Jun 5, 2013
  6. GavinMcresty

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

That's pretty gross, but thank you for the informative explanation.
    I always wondered why dogs ate poop. When cat people who don't like dogs talk about why they don't like dogs, the poop eating is usually at the top of the list.

ACSAPA, Jun 18, 2013
  7. GavinMcresty

Trellum Well-Known Member

My pug did, he liked to pee there for some reason, my silly girl! She thought the tray was for her to use! She still does it from time to time, but not as often as she did before :p Never poops there, by the way. Never did either.

Trellum, Oct 6, 2014
  8. GavinMcresty

Anne Well-Known Member

Sadly, my dogs used the litter for the wrong reason. Jose knows only too well what I am talking about. It was not a pretty sight seeing my dogs behave as though it was their Sunday meal on a platter.

Anne, Oct 7, 2014
Ask a Question