Does your cat like water?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by HappyRocinante, May 14, 2012.

1. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I know, silly question, right? Well, you would think so BUT I have to say that one of my cats actually seems totally facinated with it! He comes running every time I turn on a faucet anywhere in the house.

I saw this video online a few days ago and thought I would share:

My cat's not this bad!

HappyRocinante, May 14, 2012
  2. HappyRocinante

steph84 Well-Known Member

I just got a new kitty who doesn't know how to eat his food and ends up getting his food up his nose and eyes. So this feeding time is always messy and we have to wipe him off with a wet towel. At first he didn't like it, but now he likes being washed in the sink. I've never had a cat who likes water so now I am excited and hope he'll be good during bath time at home. My other cat hates it so much that I don't even try to bathe him and just send him to the groomers!

steph84, May 14, 2012
  3. HappyRocinante

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Most of my cats just drink water every so often, but one cat of mine drinks it more. I think that's because he has diabetes.Since he take insulin now, his cravings are back to normal. The video is a cute one. Thanks for sharing this funny video. All cat lovers will get a kick out of the video.

Jenny Heart, May 15, 2012
  4. HappyRocinante

Mystique Well-Known Member

I had cats that didn't like water - it was tough trying to give them a bath. Others were all right with it. Recent cats - Snowy, she doesn't mind it at all. I have yet to try bathing Azzario, as we had only gotten him recently.

Mystique, May 15, 2012
  5. HappyRocinante

violino Well-Known Member

My Mitra is in a bathtube everytime we are in a bathroom and she shouts at us to run her the water. And she loves dog's water bowl, she puts her paw into it and then lick it (the paw, I mean)... Aaaaan the plants' watering, this is fun as well :p

violino, Jun 4, 2012
  6. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

She likes playing in the water by choice, such as from a running faucet. If someone else puts water on her, though? No way. And there's no way she'd go playing in a pond or anything either.

Jessi, Jun 7, 2012
  7. HappyRocinante

tajnz Well-Known Member

Growing up I had one cat that actually seemed to like water.o_O So much for all cats being afraid of water! This cat liked to jump around puddles ect.. while my dog on the other hand avoided water like the plague. I think the generalization that cat's don't like water is true but cats are individuals as some will be the exception to the rule.

tajnz, Jun 8, 2012
  8. HappyRocinante

violino Well-Known Member

And I don't think it's true. They don't like taking bath, they don't like BEING wet, but they don't dislike water.

violino, Jun 9, 2012
  9. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's a good way of putting it, violino. They definitely like being able to control what they do with the water, which is very catlike, isn't it? They will happily play around in a stream of water or dip their paws....but they don't want to be dunked.

Jessi, Jun 9, 2012
  10. HappyRocinante

Trellum Well-Known Member

I recently watched a video of a cat that was truly enjoying a hot shower, I thought that was a relly odd behaviour :p My bob doesn't like to take a shower, but I'd not dare to say he completely hates water, it's more like he actually tolerates it :)

Trellum, Jun 21, 2015
  11. HappyRocinante

morgoodie Member

My cats hated water and would not go anywhere near water. However, my one cat would get in the bathtub with no water in it and lick the faucet. That is as close to water as they would get though. I never was one to bathe my cats and I never had any problem with them having an odor or anything. They did a good job of keeping themselves clean.

morgoodie, Feb 28, 2016
  12. HappyRocinante

KittyReeves Member

My cats hate water. The younger one hates it so much, that if she hears a faucet running, she will leave the room. The one is alright with it, but he hates getting baths. (Which I have to give him from time to time, since he's so old and can't bathe properly.) My friend had a cat that LOVED water though. Every time she took a bath, she'd have to the lock the door. Because the cat would open the door and jump into the tub to swim. That was a weird cat, haha.

KittyReeves, Feb 28, 2016
  13. HappyRocinante

stillsmallworld.com Member

All three of my cats drink from a flowing water fountain. Two of my three had interest in drinking from the sink, and I would leave it dripping when I went on mini weekend vacations. That is costly and not environmentally responsible, so I invested in a flowing water fountain. They love it! All three hate taking baths, though.

stillsmallworld.com, Mar 5, 2016
Ask a Question