Do your cats shed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by SheWolfSilver, Jan 27, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Tigger and Booger shed something awful! I can keep up with Tigger because he likes to be vacuumed. LOL No, I'm not joking he'll lay there and let me run the vacuum hose all over him. Booger on the other hand won't even let me brush him. How do you guys deal with the shedding?

SheWolfSilver, Jan 27, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

Yes, unfortunately, I don't wear a lot of black around the house. I do have some pretty cloths on their favorite chairs that I can just throw in the washer and dryer. But my daughter has dog hair and I would take to "wearing" cat hair anyday!

SallyintheValley41, Jan 27, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

Belligerent Well-Known Member

My cat sheds a ton even though I brush her at least 15-30 minutes a day. It's weird because it seems like she's shedding more now that it's winter.. it should be the opposite.

Belligerent, Jan 28, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

amy005 Well-Known Member

My cat sheds quite a bit and it is just something I have basically gotten used to. I do occasionally brush him but do not have the time to do it every day or even once a week. The shedding is tolerable so I do not really mind it that much.

amy005, Feb 13, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

magickat Well-Known Member

They do shed but only really a couple of times a year when their coats change with the seasons. It wasn't so bad with 2 cats but now I have 6 I had to buy a new vacuum to get all the fur out of the carpets lol

magickat, Feb 13, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Whew! I can imagine how bad it would be with 6 cats! Three is bad enough but six!

SheWolfSilver, Feb 13, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

Carolinagirl Member

I cannot imagine having six cats. Wow...that must feel like a chores sometimes. My cats sheds really bad. What makes it so bad for me, is I am allergic to cats. I love her so much though, and feel she is worth all the allergies I get from her.

Carolinagirl, Feb 19, 2012
  8. SheWolfSilver

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Some of mine do shed and brushing helps as does daily vacuuming of carpet and furniture. For my kitty allergy, I double my daily benadryl dose when its shedding season.

Micheleteresa, Feb 19, 2012
  9. SheWolfSilver

Alli Well-Known Member

My boy cat is a shorthair (the black and white one in my icon)- so not much shedding. Except on my white clothes- when I wear white clothes he can sit on my lap and shed like crazy!
    My girl cat is a longhair, but she doesn't shed excessively- mostly in the late spring or early summer. She has a coat similar to a ragdoll cat (she's a mixed breed but looks very ragdoll-like and is a mix of long hair and Siamese)

Alli, Feb 19, 2012
  10. SheWolfSilver

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Yes all 6 of my cats shed like crazy! It seems to happen right before summer mostly. I just take a cat brush and brush the hair and it sure does help a lot.

Wahcashmom, Feb 20, 2012
  11. SheWolfSilver

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I had six cats at once.. and yes, the hair is ridiculous. We had to vacuum everyday.. and I mean, detail vacuum with the attachments. They were all short haired cats and we brushed them regularly. Can't imagine what it'd be like with 6 long haired kitties.. lol

Belligerent, Feb 20, 2012
  12. SheWolfSilver

christina Active Member

My cats shed like crazy too! I am very picky about my carpet being clean. So vacuuming often is no problem for me.

christina, Mar 25, 2012
  13. SheWolfSilver

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely!

It's especially bad this time of year when the seasons are changing, the weather is getting warmer, and all the hair starts to fly, ew. It also means this is the time of the year when hairball issues are at their worst. :(

Jessi, Mar 25, 2012
  14. SheWolfSilver

nicola Active Member

Sophie has shred some of her fur.
    She doesn't like the Hoover.
    We try and hover every other day.

nicola, Mar 26, 2012
  15. SheWolfSilver

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

All my cats shed, but my long hair is the worst. I bought a special comb that takes off excess hair, and the hair doesn't come back right away. I've used cheaper brands of combs, with less results. Cats with excess hair shedding can get hairballs more, but with the use of this special brush, less hair will be all over your carpet and floors.

Jenny Heart, Apr 4, 2012
  16. SheWolfSilver

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, they definitely shed. Something that I've noticed is that the long hair cats shed quite a lot, but the short hair cats don't usually shed all that much. One thing that can help is making sure to brush your cats every day. It helps to get all those loose hairs out so that they don't end up all over the place.

dkramarczyk, Apr 8, 2012
  17. SheWolfSilver

wils172 Active Member

I learned the best way to deal with shedding is to make the cat an outdoor cat. If that's not an option then you'll almost certainly have to put up with shedding no matter what you do.

wils172, Apr 9, 2012
  18. SheWolfSilver

kinser Active Member

My cat was a shedder. He had short hair, but he also had an undercoat. Frequent grooming really helped - I used a rubber brush or Furminator to loosen the undercoat. He loved it at first, but would become overstimulated and start hissing. I miss my kitty :(

kinser, Apr 20, 2012
  19. SheWolfSilver

blackcapped Active Member

Having leather couches in my home has helped a lot. On our old cloth couches, we were having to vacuum them almost daily due to the way fur stuck on their sides and cushions.

blackcapped, Jul 17, 2012
  20. SheWolfSilver

Jessi Well-Known Member

Are your kitties declawed? We've had leather before, but it's so easily torn up if they decide to use it as a scratching post, ya know? And then it's not exactly the cheapest to repair. :(

Jessi, Jul 17, 2012
Ask a Question