Do you trim your cats nails?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Herman&Eddie, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

When our cats go in for their yearly exam, they get their claws clipped. I am wondering, if anyone has any experience doing this at home? I have seen cat clippers at the pet store, but I am a bit nervous about doing the procedure myself. I say use the word "procedure" because I am concerned, it could turn into quite the ordeal!

I am worry about clipping too close or that the cats will freak out, when I attempt to do this. Then it would just be a waste of time and money. At the same time, I really think our youngest, Eddie, needs her nails clipped more than once a year. She absolutely loves to sharpen her claws on a daily basis. They are quite sharp!

Any advice or experience in this matter, much appreciated.

Herman&Eddie, Apr 8, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'd not try it on an adult cat... sadly if you didn't start doing this from the time your kitty was little, trying it now will be almost impossible or end badly. Cats don't like us to get too close to their nails with one of those clippers. If you want to do that at home, well, next time you get a kitten start doing it as soon as you can! He or she will grow up assuming it's a safe practice :) You might give the cat some treats afterwards, you know so the cat actually starts looking forward to nail clipping.

Trellum, Apr 9, 2015
  3. Herman&Eddie

Yes. I thought, it was too late! Next kitty in the house, as I am sure we will have another one, someday, hehe. I am going to try and start this routine. I mean, it just amazes me how much Eddie just loves to sharpen her nails on a daily basis, and I am not talking about just normal :rolleyes: daily cleaning! Herman, on the other hand, just scratches some carpet, but Eddie goes to town! :D And here she lies next to me looking so innocent!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 9, 2015
  4. Herman&Eddie

Yeah, next time you got to try it =D I know cats aren't dogs, but they do like treats after doing something good ;) It worked with my Bob. I really recommend you to first check a video tutorial on how to do it tho... you know, so you know where is safe to clip. Cat nails are easier to clip than dog nails.

Trellum, Apr 10, 2015
  5. Herman&Eddie

Yes, I must say that, I developed a bit of a fear getting close to animals paws. I think, it started, when I had a horse, at a young age. After riding, I had to clean the hoofs and it scared the living daylights out of me. I was always afraid to get kicked in the head, but I love to ride, so I had to keep up with the grooming, which included cleaning the horses shoes! My horses name was Pockets, by the way. No clue, how I came up with that name. I, seriously think, the day we went to pick her up, it was cold and I had my hands in my pockets. :p

I have never clipped dog toe nails, either. Good advice about watching a video first, I am a visual learner. I, also, like how I can rewind and play it again.

By the way, our outside, farm cats, loved to be around the horses. They were great friends. I remember, one time, I wanted to give one of the kittens a ride with me on the horse. Not such a good idea! Both animals, got a fright, I got scratched, but managed to stay on the horse! :D I am pretty sure, I got in trouble from my parents, too! :rolleyes:

Herman&Eddie, Apr 10, 2015
  6. Herman&Eddie

Lol, omggggg I'm glad things turned out alright, but it does sound like a really dangerous thing to do, hehehe! I can imagine the cat freaking out while riding with you on the horse, hehehe! I think some animals are not made to be so close to each other, at least not in that way :D But glad all turned up so well and you have such a pleasant memory of it ;)

Trellum, Apr 11, 2015
  7. Herman&Eddie

I was pretty rambunctious, back in the day. Not so much now, well some may beg to differ! Poor, poor kitty, huh! I do find it interesting how cats get along, so well with some other animals, and not so much with other animals. I think our outdoor cats got along so well with each other because they hung out in the barn together at night. The chicken and cats, not so much! Wonder, why? :D No, I know why! It was that predator nature coming out in them! :p

Herman&Eddie, Apr 11, 2015
  8. Herman&Eddie

Yeah, cats have really strong predator instincts! I think of my Bob as a mini black panther, lol. But really they are! Have you noticed most cats don't like when you try to touch their bellies? You know, like you normally would with a dog? My Bob doesn't like that and most of the cats I've ever had didn't like it either. I read that has a reason... something about the predatory nature of cats and how exposing their bellies like that would normally get them killed in different circumstances.

Trellum, Apr 11, 2015
Ask a Question