Do you prefer male or female cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SheWolfSilver, Jan 30, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I have two boys and I just got Bella last summer. My boys are a lot calmer and friendlier than Bella is. Even when they were kittens they were not as out of control as Bella is sometimes. Is it because she's a female? Does it just depend on the cat? Do you prefer males or females or does it even matter to you?

SheWolfSilver, Jan 30, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Hmm... from my experience, boys are almost always sweeter. The males I've had have always wanted constant attention (which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on how much time and attention you can provide for them). However, my cat now, Mama, is obviously female and she wants attention pretty much constantly.

I really do think gender has something to do with how friendly they are.. because I've had over a dozen cats in my lifetime and the males have all been sweeter.

Belligerent, Jan 31, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I get my cats from the market where people throw them away. So I usually end up with tabbies. In a way, tabbies are easier to take care of. Toms have a tendency to spray all over the place to mark their territories.

Victor Leigh, Feb 2, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

magickat Well-Known Member

Females do tend to be more independent and I have 5 girls and one boy at the moment! My tomcat is so affectionate and soft, he really is lovely. The other girls all have very different personalities and my tabby kitten is very affectionate - she often seeks us out for a good cuddle and purr :)

magickat, Feb 14, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

Bella has improved some but she is no where close to the snuggle bunnies my two tom cats are. They are tabbies and she is a calico I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

SheWolfSilver, Feb 14, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

Shole Member

Male cats...but I don't mind even if its female :) its the same as I love them so much :D

Shole, Feb 15, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

Belligerent Well-Known Member

It's interesting how we all seem to notice that male cats tend to be more friendly.. I wonder why that is.

Belligerent, Feb 16, 2012
  8. SheWolfSilver

LOL Maybe female cats are all b***ches with attitudes and male cats are just eager to please like their human counter parts. ;)

SheWolfSilver, Feb 16, 2012
    Belligerent likes this.
  9. SheWolfSilver

Maybe it's because many cat lovers here are females and they prefer a tom for company. I, myself, prefer female cats. Maybe that's because I am a male myself.

Victor Leigh, Feb 16, 2012
  10. SheWolfSilver

I think female cats have an innate instinct to be more aggressive and independent because they are the ones who have to bring up the kittens, whereas males just have to do a bit of fighting and mating and that's about it lol

magickat, Feb 16, 2012
  11. SheWolfSilver

joshistraining Member

Males, my male is so much nicer than my female, she is usually a lot more lively though.

joshistraining, Feb 19, 2012
  12. SheWolfSilver

I don't know about that. I have had feral female cats that turned out to be very loving and friendly it's just the one I have now is not very nice. LOL She's getting better though or maybe it's just because I'm used to her.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 20, 2012
  13. SheWolfSilver

Shole Member

Lol well it might be jelly of you :D xD Anyhow give her some food :) and some nice stuff to play and she wont be bitter I am sure :D

Shole, Feb 21, 2012
  14. SheWolfSilver

inTHEsane Active Member

Its really hard for me to pick, because growing up I had a male who lived for 16 years and a female who lived for 18
    years, and they both were great and distinctly different personalities that got along well with each other.
    She was rather skidish and mainly loved me but a fierce outside hunter cat, and he was the king of the mountain
    but hunted with her too type. They got along great. I think if anything I like having both.

inTHEsane, Feb 23, 2012
    magickat likes this.
  15. SheWolfSilver

I have to agree with you and I think males and females can compliment each other well. i have a brother and sister amongst my 6 cats and they really take care of each other. The female you describe sounds just like my cat Timmy who I had for many years, crucially when I was a very moody teenager lol

magickat, Feb 23, 2012
  16. SheWolfSilver

The way you said the last part about being a very moody teenager made it sound like having a cat is good therapy. How did having a cat help you with your moodiness?

Victor Leigh, Feb 24, 2012
  17. SheWolfSilver

wils172 Active Member

This is very easy for me to answer. Male cats pee to mark their territory and females don't so I have to go with females.

wils172, Feb 24, 2012
  18. SheWolfSilver

This is not always true I had my toms neutered while they were still kittens and they have never "marked their territory."

SheWolfSilver, Feb 24, 2012
  19. SheWolfSilver

jenna Member

I like male and female cats. I don’t have a preference. I currently have 3 cats (2 males and 1 female). The male cats
    are very calm compared to the female. I also noticed the same thing with my friend’s felines. I love my furry babies.

jenna, Feb 24, 2012
  20. SheWolfSilver

I totally agree. I had my tomcat neutered at 6 months and he has never sprayed anywhere. He is the most loyal, loving and funny cat and tolerates the 5 female cats he lives with very well.

magickat, Mar 6, 2012
Ask a Question