Do you like your vet?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Viola, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Viola

Viola Member

My community has a neighbourhood Facebook page where people can share advice and knowledge. It seems like about every other week there is somebody asking for a reccomendation of good vet in our area, most wanting to switch from their current vet because they are unhappy.

We had a similar experience when we moved to our area. Our original vet was wonderful, but clear across town and we were not willing to either pay the taxi fare or take our poor kitties on the subway for their checkups. That's when our search for a great vet in our area began.

We visited two before a new third vet opened up nearby, and it would seem like third time is the charm because this vet was wonderful. They prefered non-invasive methods and not only did they love our cats, the cats loved them back. When our old orange tabby was at the end of his life, we were so relieved that we had found this lovely vet to help end his life. They in turn sent us a lovely condolence card signed by the entire office.

Do you have a vet you like and trust with your cats? It would appear they are not as easy to find as you may think.

Viola, Sep 16, 2012
  2. Viola

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I do, my vet is great. Instead of doing hundreds of tests and costing me thousands he diagnosed my sick can on what I told him, his symptoms and his on gut feeling. Most people with IBD in their cat have to go through hundreds of blood tests, xrays and other tests, but my vet did not. He said, right off the bat, this sounds like IBD.

He was right.

Scottyxx, Sep 20, 2012
  3. Viola

Jessi Well-Known Member

I do now. Ours is across town, too, but it's worth the drive to know that the cats are in good hands now. They don't usually have to go to the vet minus normal checkups and vaccines, but I would feel safe if something happened and we needed emergency care for one.

Jessi, Sep 21, 2012
  4. Viola

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I also should add, one day at around 7:30 my cat started leaking blood from his bum, he was crying and the blood was flying. I called the vet, and she said we are closing for the day so have no more appointments, but if you come now we will see you.

I rushed him in and they gave him a great exam, and the vet did not rush us and took his time, and did no charge us an emergency fee.

Scottyxx, Sep 21, 2012
  5. Viola

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lucky you, Scotty!

I had a similar issue that landed on a weekend and I called all around trying to find someone that was open and would see us. We didn't have any nearby emergency centers open, so it was all I could do. The best I got was a woman 2 hours away that told me they would be closed by the time I got there... But she did tell me what I could do to help my pet in the meantime.

Jessi, Sep 21, 2012
  6. Viola

Beth23 Well-Known Member

I do now. Before I took them to the larger animal clinic and you got whoever was on call, but we recently changed to a vet who specializes in just cats and I love her. Expensive, but she is close to our house and the cats adore her.

Beth

Beth23, Sep 24, 2012
  7. Viola

andrew320 Well-Known Member

Yes. We took one of our boys for a check-up and provided honest advice and didn't demand to go through all of these tests just for the sake of making a few bucks. She was great with our nine-year-old guy, the cat wasn't scared and she gave us different options for us to consider, but didn't pressure us in order to "save the cat's life!"

andrew320, Sep 27, 2012
  8. Viola

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Yes, I graduated from high school with her. Small world ;-)

She's been our vet for most of our dogs' lives and now for our cats.

OhioTom76, Oct 1, 2012
  9. Viola

Jessi Well-Known Member

It's funny that you mention that. Had I realized that my vet graduated with me, I would've found another vet, lol. There were some good people in my class, sure, but I don't trust the education system there at all and I know where the majority went to college, too. I wouldn't want them put in charge of caring for my pets for the most part.

Jessi, Oct 1, 2012
  10. Viola

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I've never had to take my cat to see my current vet, only my dogs. They've annoyed me a couple of times, trying to make us spend money we didn't need to, and making a real hash of a simple cyst removal operation on one of aforementioned dogs. I don't tend to take my animals to that vet unless I absolutely have to. Since we're moving soon, I get he pleasure of finding a new vet, all over again. Hopefully I'll find a decent one.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 1, 2012
  11. Viola

ufomundo New Member

Yes, I love my vet. In fact, I don't ever remember not liking a vet I've taken a pet to. I think by nature, these people are caring and love animals. That's not to say bad ones don't exist, but I haven't seen any.

When Elvis was young he had numerous bouts with feline urinary tract infection, and my vet along with the emergency hospital vets helped us both through this time as though my cat was a human baby. I'm telling you, it was amazing.

The only downside to vets is that they are costly if major treatment is required. I'm fortunate enough to have the ability to pay for Elvis' treatment, but I know there are others who cannot. :(

ufomundo, Oct 2, 2012
  12. Viola

steph84 Well-Known Member

The vet clinic near my house is good as whole, but it changes ownership often. I am assuming it is because of lack of funding and all, but that means we lose our favorite vets often. It's frustrating and they often move too far away to follow them.

steph84, Oct 3, 2012
  13. Viola

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I recently moved and the new vet I'm taking my cats to seems very nice. He hasn't done anything I don't like so far! It's his own office, in a building that he owns and operates, and he's a nice older man who knows what he's doing. He won't do anything without my permission (some vets will treat animals without saying anything first) and is very kindly.

The only thing I don't like? He has assistants that take the animals back to his office, you don't go back unless he needs you for something. Sibyl doesn't like men at all, nor any kind of strangers, so she freaks out if I leave her alone with strange men. It makes it hard for her to be examined.

blurinoctober, Dec 23, 2012
  14. Viola

tajnz Well-Known Member

Yes, I've liked each of the vets my family has used in the past. Come to think of it most vets are really nice. I guess you have to be a kind person if you're passionate about healing and helping animals maintain a decent quality of life. :D:cool:

tajnz, Dec 23, 2012
  15. Viola

Trellum Well-Known Member

Woah, Viola, it sounds like you hit the jackpot! Your new vet sounds amazing...! Sadly I'm not happy with mine, the whole treatment of my cat feels so not personal at all, but I have no choice since most vets over here don't even specialize in cats. One day I asked a vet nearby if she also treated cats, she gave me a weird stare as if I had just said something crazy or awkward, lol.

Trellum, Jan 8, 2014
  16. Viola

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

Yes, my vet is amazing. She actually cares a lot about my cats. Whenever we come to do the check up on our cat, she smiles and plays with them.

Mocha&Latte, Feb 4, 2014
Ask a Question