Do you let your cats each mice or whatever they catch ?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jowjo5, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

Our cats are strictly indoor cats and occasionally they will catch a mouse in the house. I try to get the mouse from them and let it go outside.

I try to stop them one because I feel badly for the little critter. Silly I know : (

I also worry about my cats getting the worms they can get from eating mice, don't want cats and worms as pets!

Do you let them keep and eat their hunted prize or do you get involved? I feel badly for birds that get attacked by outside cats and squirrels etc. Mice generally aren't something people feel badly for, my friends think I am going to far in saving the mouse!

jowjo5, Feb 24, 2013
  2. jowjo5

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

If you're going to try to get the prey away from your cats, I wish you luck! I've only had one cat who routinely killed mice and there was no way I could get every, single one away from her. It comes naturally for them to go after these things, there's not too much you can do about it. If you're concerned about your kitties getting worms or anything of that nature, just routinely take them to the vet. A vet can deworm them in a heartbeat, as well as check for anything else they may be carrying.

blurinoctober, Feb 24, 2013
  3. jowjo5

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

We let ours hunt freely. Better they catch the creatures than the creatures end up in our house. Just yesterday Sassy brought something up she had killed. They don't normally eat their prey but we have seen Sassy chomp off the butts of varmints on occasion.
    It's going to be difficult to keep yours away from it since they already seem to be interested in hunting.
    Like blurinoctober said, routinely take them to the vet for shots and health check ups.:) That's the safest way, and you and still try to keep them away from other animals if it bothers you.

CinnamonKiss, Feb 25, 2013
  4. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ours are allowed to hunt and play with them.

It very rarely happens, though. One of them might catch something once or twice a year. That might be a mouse or vole or it could be a lizard, hehe. I think it's natural for them to want to play with them.

Jessi, Feb 25, 2013
  5. jowjo5

shdws Well-Known Member

If it were a mouse in the house, then yes I'd give my cat free rein. Occasionally my cat leaves dead lizards on our doorstep that he catches in the backyard. I feel bad for the lizards but I know my cat sees it as a gift.

shdws, Feb 28, 2013
Ask a Question