Do you have a garden?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by magickat, Jan 9, 2012.

1. magickat

magickat Well-Known Member

Do your cats play in it? Ours love our garden, especially in the summer. I am hoping to grow my own fruit and veg this year so I hope the cats won't be too destructive - I just know they will be fascinated though lol

magickat, Jan 9, 2012
  2. magickat

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I doubt if your cats can do much harm to your garden. They are not known to be inveterate diggers. Dogs, on the other hand, are usually good at excavating whatever you have planted.

Victor Leigh, Jan 9, 2012
  3. magickat

That is very true, our neighbours dog has made numerous holes in their garden. But cats do dig when they go to the loo.....

magickat, Jan 10, 2012
  4. magickat

steph84 Well-Known Member

Great post Magickat. I also have a garden, but I do keep it fenced off from my cats and dogs. When I was first digging out the grass and prepping my plot, my cat would help me garden and lay down right next to me while I was working. It was so cute, but I didn't want him fishing around in there because I was going to eat everything in that veggie garden! Once it started flourishing and my summer squash came in, he stayed away all together. I know that some cats don't like smelling pepper flakes in their gardens so I sprinkled some around the perimeter.

steph84, Jan 11, 2012
  5. magickat

That would be normal cat behavior. They cover up their feces after depositing it. Maybe it's some kind of security mechanism. Like covering up their tracks. Haven't noticed this in other animals.

Victor Leigh, Jan 11, 2012
  6. magickat

I can imagine my cats being equally interested when I do start digging about. I just hope they won't be like the cartoon cat Garfield who was always eating his owner's ferns lol

magickat, Jan 11, 2012
  7. magickat

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I do plan on having a garden! I'm very excited because we just moved from the city to a place with three acres! My cats don't go out so I don't have to worry about that. I do have some strays I feed! Isn't funny how I just moved here over the summer and they already found me?

SheWolfSilver, Jan 27, 2012
  8. magickat

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

No garden or real plants in my house except a bamboo plant really up high. I have a Puerto Rican Flower Cart though with artificial flowers and I have to keep them out of the kitties' way because they want to chew them and they could do real harm...constantly watching them at Holiday time too with glitter and stuff.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 27, 2012
  9. magickat

Belligerent Well-Known Member

When I was a kid/teenager, my family had a garden. The cats loved to go out in it and roll around in the grass and sun. We'd keep them out of the flowers though, just so they didn't eat anything that would make them sick.. but they loved chewing up the grass.

Belligerent, Jan 28, 2012
  10. magickat

mustangsaguaro Member

I had a garden last year and am getting ready for this years garden. My one cat whenever I'd be out there working in it he'd come out there and keep me company. He'd just lay down usually in the sun and sun himself. It was actually nice seeing him want to come out and be with me.

mustangsaguaro, Feb 24, 2012
  11. magickat

Pepper flakes? Never knew that they keep cats away. So where do we get these pepper flakes? And how long does the keep-cat-away effect last?

Victor Leigh, Feb 24, 2012
  12. magickat

steph84 Well-Known Member

It's just plain ground up pepper flakes. They don't like sniffing it when they are looking for places to "do their business" so they just run away from my garden. It usually lasts only a few weeks. It's a very short-term solution, but effective since I'm always in there pulling out weeds and other stuff.

steph84, Feb 24, 2012
  13. magickat

There are a number of remedies that are supposed to work, including orange peel and holly leaves! Not sure if any of them are really effective though.

magickat, Feb 24, 2012
  14. magickat

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Oh yes, my outdoor cats love to play and mess up the garden. We love to grow veggies, plant flowers and some fruit. My husband has put fence around it and everything, but it does not help!

Wahcashmom, Feb 26, 2012
  15. magickat

Put a fence around a garden? I have never heard that fences ever deterred any cats from getting anywhere. The way I heard it, fences are to cats what highways are to men.

Victor Leigh, Mar 13, 2012
  16. magickat

I agree, fences are just extra climbing frames for cats lol

magickat, Mar 13, 2012
  17. magickat

What I'm doing would work but I'm not doing it to keep cats out because they aren't that much of a problem here. I'm doing it because the grasshoppers are awful here! I'm fencing my whole garden area with a privacy fence and then putting screen like you have on your windows over the top. I'm hoping it will keep out the majority of the grasshoppers because they nearly destroyed my whole garden last year which was fragile as it was. I moved the plants over from my other house in buckets and then replanted them.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 14, 2012
  18. magickat

Don't your cats like to hunt grasshoppers? I haven't seen my cats hunting grasshoppers but cockroaches are tasty treats for them.

Victor Leigh, Mar 15, 2012
  19. magickat

You don't understand there were HUNDREDS of grasshoppers last year. Way more than any cat could eat but my five dogs ate their fair share. :)

SheWolfSilver, Mar 16, 2012
  20. magickat

nicola Active Member

We have quite a big garden.
    Sophie can't go out yet.
    She wants to go and have a look around.

nicola, Mar 16, 2012
Ask a Question