Do you Give your Cats Vitamins?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by april222, Apr 18, 2012.

1. april222

april222 Member

I use to give my cats vitamins, though eventually stopped as it seemed like they absolutely hated the taste. Sometimes I wonder if they should still have vitamins anyway or if they are just fine without. They are both healthy and they both have a shiny coat so I would almost think that they are doing just fine without. What are your thoughts on vitamins?

april222, Apr 18, 2012
  2. april222

steph84 Well-Known Member

I don't give my cats vitamins, but I do give them fish oil capsules. It makes their coat look amazingly shiny and they love the flavor. They even have fish oil supplements made just for pets.

steph84, Apr 18, 2012
  3. april222

Jessi Well-Known Member

I give them a powder like this:

[​IMG]

My cat goes nuts for the garlic and insists on having it every morning. She'll go around the house crying until someone gives her the powder. It doesn't smell good and the first few times I offered it, she wasn't impressed, but since then? She's hooked.

Jessi, Apr 18, 2012
  4. april222

magickat Well-Known Member

I think most pet foods are pretty nutritionally balanced these day s and in combination with the extra bits I give them of my food and occasional cat treats i don't think there is need for extra vitamins.

magickat, Apr 18, 2012
  5. april222

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about starting my one cat on a supplement that might help with joint health. He's 14 yrs. old. If your cat hates the taste try placing the pill in a pill pocket. Ask your vet if his supplement can be eating crushed up. My one cat is diabetic and hates to take it, until I tried using pill pockets. They have them for cats and dogs.

Jenny Heart, Apr 18, 2012
  6. april222

Anna T Active Member

It seems like I tried to give my cats vitamins at one point and they just wouldn't eat them. I even tried to sneak them into their food and everything, and my cats still knew it was there and would eat around it.

Anna T, Apr 23, 2012
  7. april222

violino Well-Known Member

Because Mitra has to take an antibiotic every week I try to give her vitamins to supply her the things that antibiotic rinsed.

violino, May 7, 2012
  8. april222

JasmineLee2092 New Member

I would be wary of the garlic. Cats can become anemic from garlic and onion.

JasmineLee2092, May 16, 2013
  9. april222

Trellum Well-Known Member

I rather not give my cat vitamins, because the food I give him is nutritious enough, I think :) So giving him vitamins seems to be both a waste of time and money. I tried before tho, and he didn't like it. I think cats don't need vitamins at all, as long as they recieve really nutrious food everyday :)

Trellum, Dec 9, 2013
Ask a Question