Do you give your cat human food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dashboardc33, Oct 21, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

I give my dog lots of scraps, but my cat doesn't get anything. I just don't feel that cats should be eating human food? Maybe the reason is because cat's bodies are so small and I don't know if they will digest it properly. However, my cat begs like a dog. She is always right there next to me when I eat. Do you give your cat scraps, or just certain things like milk and tuna?

dashboardc33, Oct 21, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope!

I have occasionally given her tuna and my sister's cat will eat things like peas. I don't make it a habit, though, and wouldn't want them to beg.

We used to give the outside strays our scraps when I was a kid. It was usually meat fat/scraps and random veggies, so I don't think it was that horrible for them.

Jessi, Oct 21, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

andrew320 Well-Known Member

One of our cats absolutely hates human food, except for bread with butter and he just licks the butter. Our other cat loves human food, but we don't give him anything, except for bits of cheese. That's his favorite food. He knows exactly when we make cheese.

andrew320, Oct 29, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

steph84 Well-Known Member

I don't give my cats human food, but the rest of my family does. Now they like eating popcorn, bread, cheese, milk and tuna. They are pretty spoiled with the lunch meat.

steph84, Oct 30, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

I'll sometimes give my cats some tuna but other than that no human food whatsoever. My older cat hasn't actually ever shown any interest in people food although my new kitten just about mauls my son and I every time we're eating something. For the most part, I think it's best to stick to cat food for cats (and dog food for dogs for that matter).

msmonkeyfeet, Nov 6, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have no such problems with my cats. Maybe it's because most of them are strays. So they have been used to eating whatever scraps they can find in the trash can. In fact, for some of them, it took quite a while to teach them how to eat processed cat food. They didn't have to be taught how to eat table scraps, though.

Victor Leigh, Nov 7, 2012
    TheCatLady likes this.
  7. dashboardc33

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cats used to eat human food. Basically Bandit was so forceful he would force himself onto my plates. He usually liked to lick the food out the bottom of my cereal bowl, or play with uncooked meat leftovers while I am cooking. I have given him precooked sandwich meats too. He loved it all, but now his tummy is off, hes on a very restricted diet, so no more treats!

Scottyxx, Nov 7, 2012
    TheCatLady likes this.
  8. dashboardc33

Yolanda Well-Known Member

It depends, I don't make a habit of it but sometimes they get small amounts of human food if they like it. I do try to be careful that it's non-fatty or high in sodium and such.

Yolanda, Nov 19, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

mimisweb Member

It's tough to watch them almost drooling from the smell of human food, but once they get a taste for "the good stuff" it's kind of hard to go back to the same old dry cat food. I think it's best not to start on that track at all. A begging cat can be loud and relentless! :p

mimisweb, Nov 20, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I feel like human food for cats is just as bad/good for them as human food for dogs is. I don't think it should be a double standard. My parents have had an outside cat and outside dogs my entire life and they always eat the same scraps - it didn't harm one more than the other ever.

My cats get random scraps of bread when I'm eating a sandwich and will lick my bowl or plate when I finish eating a lot of the time. I don't see it being a big deal as the majority of what they eat is cat food.

blurinoctober, Dec 10, 2012
  11. dashboardc33

tajnz Well-Known Member

I just thought about it and although my family would give our dogs tidbits of human food I can't recall ever feeding one of my cats human food. :confused:

tajnz, Dec 14, 2012
  12. dashboardc33

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

We occasionally do. Our cats are pretty picky though so they don't come around wanting scraps everyday. We let the drink some tuna juice if mom's making tuna, but never a whole lot. One day Dusty might eat some bacon and the next he won't even come around for some scraps. One of our cats passed away early this fall and my dad had him hooked on pancakes with syrup. He just loved pancakes.
    But like I said, our current two cats have some scraps or a couple of bites of something but only if they're hanging around wanting a taste.

CinnamonKiss, Dec 14, 2012
  13. dashboardc33

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

That's adorable that she loves milk and cookies!!! I don't know if our cats would drink milk......Or eat cookies, they're picky.

CinnamonKiss, Dec 22, 2012
  14. dashboardc33

Epicfied Well-Known Member

We definitely don't give our cats human food, especially from the table.
    We don't even give them wet food very often. Only on Christmas. :)

Occasionally, Neko will play with frozen peas that fell then manage to eat them.
    Or like this Thanksgiving steal black olives out of the half empty can on the table in the other room. -.-

Epicfied, Jan 3, 2013
  15. dashboardc33

Trellum Well-Known Member

I made the huge mistake of giving human food to my Bob since the start, now he won't stop begging for more every time he sees me eating. It's never a good idea to do such a thing when you just got your cat, because they get so used to it. When I get a new cat (once Bob dies) I will not make the same mistake.

Trellum, Mar 21, 2014
Ask a Question