Do you brush your cat's teeth?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by I Heart Meezers, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I Heart Meezers

I Heart Meezers New Member

And if so, what do you use to do the brushing?

I tried to get my girls accustomed to having their teeth brushed when they were kittens, by using one of those finger-sleeve brushes. It was a disaster! I couldn't get it in their mouths -- too big. Now, they're not at all used to it and one is having some dental problems; I'm wondering if it's worth another shot if I could find a brush that would actually work.

Any tips?

I Heart Meezers, Nov 29, 2011
  2. I Heart Meezers

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

No, I have never tried to brush my cats teeth before. I have my dogs, but not my cats. I was told, that I really needed to brush the cats teeth, but I can never get them to stay in my lap while trying to do it. They always scratch me, and it hurts.

Wahcashmom, Dec 2, 2011
  3. I Heart Meezers

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Same here. Never brushed any of my cats' teeth. Never seen anyone doing that either. Dogs, yes. I had a neighbor who would brush the teeth of her Poodle every morning. The dog just sits there quietly waiting for her to finish. I think it loves the attention.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
  4. I Heart Meezers

Well, I've read articles and seen videos about it, so I know it can be done, I'm just at a loss for how to get it to actually do something for my cats. Mine won't scratch or try to get away. The problem I had was that, because the brush was so big and cumbersome, I couldn't really achieve any brushing motion against their little teeth. And forget getting that giant fingerbrush inside their little cheeks to do the back teeth.
    What ultimately ended up happening was that they'd just eat the paste. *sigh*

I Heart Meezers, Dec 2, 2011
  5. I Heart Meezers

What you need is a much smaller brush. Maybe you can try one of those which women use to brush their eyelashes.

Victor Leigh, Dec 3, 2011
  6. I Heart Meezers

That's an excellent suggestion, Victor. I had actually come across a mention of someone doing that, but I couldn't figure out where one would just buy a clean mascara brush (for not too much money). I have found some brushes online that are the same spiral wand style, made for braces cleaning. I think those may be stiffer so I can do the brushing with actual bristles rather than the wire.

Wish me luck! As soon as I can scrape together some extra cash to order, I'll let you guys know how it went!

I Heart Meezers, Dec 7, 2011
  7. I Heart Meezers

Well, I think you can actually ask your friends for their used mascara brushes. They would be throwing them away anyway. Just make sure you clean them properly before using them on your cat.

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  8. I Heart Meezers

Alli Well-Known Member

I never brush their teeth, but I have given them those dental treats that supposedly help clean the teeth off. I don't think my two would take well to brushing!

Alli, Dec 31, 2011
  9. I Heart Meezers

I have seen some of those dental treats. I wonder whether they really work. Have you noticed whether your cat's teeth became any cleaner after eating the dental treats?

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
  10. I Heart Meezers

Alli Well-Known Member

I think their breath is better, so that is a sign that their teeth are cleaner. They aren't fond of me opening their mouths to check, so it is hard to tell if there is a visual difference.

Alli, Jan 3, 2012
  11. I Heart Meezers

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I give my kitty dental treats and she hasn't a problem with her breath. I can't imagine her letting me brush her teeth, so I don't even try!

Belligerent, Jan 15, 2012
  12. I Heart Meezers

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I have tried but found that dental treats and a dental check up and tooth cleaning with the vet at least once a year ( although twice a year is recommended by most vet's) is much easier. If you have multiple kitty's I suggest a low cost vet clinic for dental check ups.

Micheleteresa, Jan 15, 2012
  13. I Heart Meezers

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

I really have never met a cat that needed his teeth brushed. I think if they have dry food or dry snacks (especially the ones for tartar control) then their teeth and gums are healthy. IF I was going to brush them though, the eyelash brush would be way too soft, the braces brush or those little spirals they sell for a replacement to flossing would be best.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 23, 2012
  14. I Heart Meezers

magickat Well-Known Member

I've never tried it but I imagine it would be a disaster - they would just consider the toothbrush a toy! I think biscuits and dental treats in combination with descaling at the vets is the best way to go.....

magickat, Jan 24, 2012
  15. I Heart Meezers

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have tried to brush my cat's teeth and he just hates it. I give him dental treats right now to help his oral hygiene, but I do get his teeth brushed whenever I send him to the groomer. I don't know what type of fight he gives them, but I do pay around $8 for it to be done and I tip well.

steph84, Jan 24, 2012
Ask a Question