Do cat's whiskers grow back?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Herman&Eddie, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

I ask this because our Herman is getting older! She is actually the longest pet we have owned! So, this a new adventure in our life dealing with an older cat. Nowadays, we are finding her whiskers, well my daughter is finding them in her room? Hmmm, they must grow back because how many whiskers can one find! lol But still, I wonder, do any of your have a cat whose whiskers fall out? Maybe, this is something that happens to cats all the time and I have never noticed?

Also, anyone's cat have grey whiskers? Herman's have gone from black to grey! Hehe just like we human's have our hair color change! Well, not me yet! hehe I think I will dye it, when it does! But seriously, anyone have any information or experience on cats whiskers? I have heard cats use their whiskers to judge the width of an area. Not sure, if this is true or not? But golly, it would be weird to see Herman without any whiskers. I think I am going to go check on her later and count how many she has left! :rolleyes:

Herman&Eddie, Apr 17, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi there! As far as I know this is normal, as long as the cat is not losing an excessive number of whiskers! My future in laws' cat loses some of his from time to time (that I know of). They have grown back. I'd not worry too much about it, I'm sure your Herman's whiskers will grow back. After all whiskers are a fundamental too for our cats. By the way I think this is common in older cat.

Trellum, Apr 18, 2015
  3. Herman&Eddie

Thanks for the reassure. I just took a quick look at Herman's whiskers. It appears that she is fine! They seem to be at different lengths. Interesting some are white, some are grey, and a couple are almost black. I think, she was wondering why my face was right in her face, while she was trying to take a cat nap!

Then, I did a quick Google search and found some trivia on cats whiskers. Thought, I would share a quick summary on my detective work. :cool:

So, here goes, cats whiskers are sensitive, never cut them, they do change colors (Now, I know, why I see Herman's cat whiskers in a variety of colors! Eddies are all white!), Not only do whiskers help cats gauge getting through a space, but help them go after prey! Now, that was a surprise! One of the more interesting aspects about whiskers is that you can tell how how your cat is feeling, by looking at the whiskers position!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 18, 2015
  4. Herman&Eddie

The cat whisker position is new to me, never heard about that one. I don't think it's so easy to see the position of the whiskers or even notice if they're in a different position, unless you know your cat so well and check them often, but it sounds so tricky, hehehe.

Trellum, Apr 21, 2015
  5. Herman&Eddie

Well, I have to tell you after reading about the movement of whiskers, I have been observing! You would be amazed how much one can find out by observing cats! lol Anyways, it is true and noticeable! I have seen the whiskers go forwards, backwards, up, and down!

I was going to add several pictures of cats whiskers in various postilions, but I got too distracted! Maybe another time, For now, I add this picture, because I can not resist, too cute! Cats that look like owls! Can you spot the owl?

[​IMG]

Herman&Eddie, Apr 22, 2015
  6. Herman&Eddie

That is super cute, I've always wanted a persian cat :p Love those flat faces, lol. So charming! I'll pay more attention to my cat's whiskers ;) To be honest I had never stopped to check that, sounds silly but to me they always seem to be in the same position. After seeing this picture above it does make sense to think that some positions indicate how sad or happy a cat is.

Trellum, Apr 22, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  7. Herman&Eddie

Anne Well-Known Member

I did spot the "owl'. I always wondered about those whiskers but never really did any research. It turns out that those whiskers. I was amazed at what I read recently. The important role they play in measuring areas which cats pass through and the like. I did read that even though they will grow but it is no reason to cut them.

http://mytypesofcats.com/do-cats-whiskers-grow-back/

Anne, Apr 23, 2015
  8. Herman&Eddie

Thanks for the link. I found it informative without being too dry of a read. This can be difficult to do, sometimes.

What caught me by surprised was all the areas cats have whiskers. Sure, I have seen them on several places on the face; however I had not clue whiskers were "on the back of their front legs". Oh my goodness, now I am going to have to go take a look at Eddie's and Herman's front legs! lol

I, too, think it is amazing how they navigate with their whiskers. Now, this makes sense how they can get around in darker areas. So, yep, thank goodness cat whiskers grow back. They really need them!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 24, 2015
  9. Herman&Eddie

Anne Well-Known Member

Let me know what more whiskers you find:). I just read in patches and in bit of a rush but I found what I read quite impressive and informative: the whiskers fitting their body as it they are "cut to size" etc We have them around us for a very long time and there still seems to something new to learn everyday. Amazing!

Anne, Apr 24, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
Ask a Question