Disciplining Cats

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by doublelady, Dec 26, 2011.

1. doublelady

doublelady Active Member

I'm having a hard time finding an appropriate discipline method for my cats. If I use a water bottle, they get scared of it but don't seem to understand why I'm using it. Shouting "No" or "Stop" doesn't really work, and I don't want to swat at them because they get pretty upset about it. How do you discipline your cats?

doublelady, Dec 26, 2011
  2. doublelady

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I use a very thin cane. It doesn't really hurt at all. Just stings a bit. I normally hit the floor with it. Probably it's the swish sound that makes my cats understand the use of the cane.

Victor Leigh, Dec 26, 2011
  3. doublelady

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I've never had any problems getting my cats to understand the squirt bottle.

Wallie0921, Dec 26, 2011
  4. doublelady

amy005 Well-Known Member

My cat always understands when I use the spray bottle as well. It doesn't always work the first time but he usually understands after using it a few times when doing something I do not like. Also just firmly saying knock it off works for me, again it doesn't always work the first time but he gets the point after a few times of being yelled at for jumping on the counter! Cats don't always seem to catch on right away.

amy005, Dec 28, 2011
  5. doublelady

There's another disciplining tool you can try. Roll up a piece of newspaper and smack it on the floor. Works every time.

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
  6. doublelady

Alli Well-Known Member

I think the key to the water gun is to not let the cat see you- you don't want them to learn to avoid you and the gun, you want the cat to learn that some mysterious force gets them soaked when they jump on the counter (or whatever) so they will avoid the counter. I used to hide a water gun under a magazine and pretend I was reading. Another trick if you want them to stay off something is to put sticky paper or tin foil there- the first time my girl cat jumped up onto sticky paper was the last time she went on that counter. She freaked out but she is scared of the counter now.

Alli, Jan 3, 2012
  7. doublelady

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Oh! I also have to buy hard plastic water bottles, because one of my cats way back when used to puncture holes in the softer plastic ones with his claws (and teeth, I think) at night while we were sleeping. We'd get up to find an empty, perforated water bottle sitting in a puddle of water in the morning. :D

Wallie0921, Jan 4, 2012
  8. doublelady

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I'm so bad at disciplining my baby! I am just a big softy.. it's horrible. I let her do pretty much what she wants. I will yell at her to get off of something (like the mouse's cage) and she listens to me just fine, but other than that.. I don't discipline her much. I know, that's bad!

Belligerent, Jan 5, 2012
  9. doublelady

In that case, your cat has owned you. Like this bear here:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jan 8, 2012
    Belligerent likes this.
  10. doublelady

Belligerent Well-Known Member

That is very true. In reality, I am her pet and she is my master. She's trained me well. xD

I love that picture by the way.. hahaha!

Belligerent, Jan 8, 2012
  11. doublelady

magickat Well-Known Member

I found a spray bottle worked so well that I don't even have to spray it anymore, they stop what they are doing now when they just see the bottle come out! My 2 kittens have also learnt what "NO!" means, particularly if I raise my voice as I am usually a very quiet person.

magickat, Jan 10, 2012
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  12. doublelady

steph84 Well-Known Member

I always use a firm "No!" and I never hit my cats. I just don't think they should be spanked. If they cause trouble I yell a firm "No!" and they usually stop what they are doing. If not, "I make a hiss sound that scares them off." They don't like loud, sudden noises, so if you stop your feet on the floor they will scatter and not repeat whatever they have done. Best of luck.

steph84, Jan 11, 2012
  13. doublelady

There's one trick which I have tried with success. I would growl just like an angry cat whenever one of the kittens want to do something which I prohibit. It seems that my dialect of cat-talk is intelligible to them.

Victor Leigh, Jan 11, 2012
  14. doublelady

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Like magickat, my kitty's just have to see the water bottle in my hand and they stop what they are doing, all except my kitty who likes water and thinks getting squirted is playtime!

Micheleteresa, Jan 15, 2012
  15. doublelady

You have a kitty that loves water? That's good news and bad news. The good part is that you won't have any problem giving your kitty a bath. The bad part is, well, you have already found out. Now you have to find something else that your kitty is afraid of. How about a rolled newspaper?

Victor Leigh, Jan 15, 2012
Ask a Question