Dealing with the Claws

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mariposa, Apr 25, 2013.

1. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

Do you take your cat(s) to a vet or some kind of pet parlor for "nail" trimming? Or grind them down yourself? I know that when they get too long, they curve back and into the skin and it becomes painful to walk... and they can cut themselves when they scratch when the claws are too long. (That's a problem for our cat if we don't trim them soon enough.)

So far we've used a grinder specifically made for this purpose and it's helped tremendously. She doesn't especially care for it being done, but it eliminates a few problems she'd have if we wouldn't do it. It doesn't hurt at all, but rather it's the noise of the thing that scares her.

mariposa, Apr 25, 2013
  2. mariposa

Trace Member

I usually just clip them down with toenail clippers. None of mine would tolerate a grinder, I think, since they're all very intolerant of noise, and pretty squirmy about having their paws handled. I can just see what the combination would be like.Two of the three just fuss a bit, but allow me to trim their claws. The third acts like I'm killing her while it's being done, but immediately bums treats and pettings. All three seem to enjoy not sticking to furniture and carpet. Well, except when they want to ride the area rug across the bedroom and under the bed.

Trace, Apr 26, 2013
  3. mariposa

glitteringfuzz Member

My cats have always chewed their own nails off. Just like a human, they'll bite their nails short. It's really helpful. Otherwise I've never removed cat nails. I didn't know it was harmful for them to have long nails. Thanks for the tip!

glitteringfuzz, Apr 27, 2013
  4. mariposa

S.L.Diamond Member

Hahahaha! Just like a human, lol. That did make me chuckle. :D
    I have never clipped my cats claws and the two I have now are only a year old, they don't seem to be having any problems. It could be because the have a scratch post, maybe that makes a difference. Anyways I'm glad I don't need to clip them, I read this cat book when I was a kid and it said to be careful not to clip to close to the... Well there's this fleshy bit in the nail, I don't know what it's called, but you can't cut that bit or they will bleed, and I can be such a clutz sometimes, so if anyone was going to clip to close it would be me. :confused:

S.L.Diamond, Apr 28, 2013
Ask a Question