Crafting With Cats

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by blurinoctober, Dec 1, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any tricks to keep cats from getting into their stuff while trying to craft? The worst (and most understandable) that happens to me is when my cats attack yarn when I'm crocheting.

I could always lock them out of the room I'm in, but that makes them miserable. I'm not sure if there are (m)any other tricks, but I'm sure someone here would know if so!

blurinoctober, Dec 1, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

My only suggestion would be to distract them with something else. For example, have a ball of yarn that is specifically for them to play with. Or make sure there are more interesting toys around so they won't mess with yours.

Jessi, Dec 2, 2012
  3. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

The worst for me is when I am making candles or anything hot, my cat loves to come up and paw at my hot glue gun....

I usually let them see what I am doing and see its not for them, if they continue to bug me (I can even imagine how mental mine would go over yarn) I usually give them a telling off, then sit them somewhere where they can watch and not touch, but as ive said many times, I think my cats are unlike a lot of cats!

Scottyxx, Dec 2, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

Thanks for the suggestions, you two! I'll be sure to try to distract the cats with special cat-only yarn and maybe try the telling off. I don't think they'll listen to it, but it's worth a shot!

And, oh, geez. Getting into candle-making?! I feel like that could be a disaster!

blurinoctober, Dec 2, 2012
  5. blurinoctober

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think I am lucky in that cats around here have been conditioned to give a wide berth whenever they see a lidi. A lidi is made from the center part of the coconut palm frond leaf after the leafy part has been whittled off. In a bunch, lidi looks like this:
    [​IMG]

That bunch of lidi is used as a broom. It's also used for chastising cats and chasing away chickens. I don't need the whole bunch. Just one strand of lidi would do. Put it next to me when I want to be left alone by my cats. Once they see the lidi, they stay well out of striking distance. It's not that I have ever beaten them with the lidi. Their fear of the lidi is probably ingrained in them after generations of conditioning.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  6. blurinoctober

It went not bad until I spilled an entire thing of hot wax down my kitchen counter.... :(

Scottyxx, Dec 4, 2012
  7. blurinoctober

Awwwwh! Was the end product worth it though?!

blurinoctober, Dec 4, 2012
  8. blurinoctober

It was ok, I covered it in glitter so everything looks better in glitter! I did end up with a glittery cat as well after he oh so sneakily stuck his face into the glitter...

Scottyxx, Dec 4, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  9. blurinoctober

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I always feel like I learn something new about different cultures when I read your posts, Victor. I never heard of lidi before. By the way, I like your new avatar. Looking good.

ACSAPA, Jan 3, 2013
Ask a Question