Counter cruising dog?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by jowjo5, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

I have three dogs, one that likes to cruise the kitchen counter for anything he can lick....taste..eat. You get the picture.

He is a large Bernese Mountain dog that is almost as tall as the counter so sometimes you can't even tell he is doing it. He is very quiet and has mastered his skill I must say.

When I say "no" his ears go down and he walks away bummed out so I know he knows this is wrong behavior.

Do any of you have any training ideas for him? He can also open the fridge at times! He is one crafty dog.

jowjo5, Feb 18, 2013
  2. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ha! He clearly knows that he's not supposed to be doing it. I really don't know how else to get him to stop, though, other than scolding when he's caught. I suppose you could make sure there's no food out so he can't do it anyway. Or maybe leave something along the edge that tastes bad so that after he accidentally licks it a few times, he'll avoid licking it in the future, too.

Jessi, Feb 18, 2013
  3. jowjo5

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Childproof the fridge if you can. I agree with Jessi, leave out some stuff that tastes bad OR use one of those sprays that is specially for pet training that smells bad so he will stop that counter cruising nonsense. :)

CinnamonKiss, Feb 19, 2013
  4. jowjo5

shdws Well-Known Member

Usually when dog's don't follow instructions it's because you have not established yourself as the Alpha of the pack. I would suggest applying techniques that will establish you as the pack leader.

shdws, Feb 21, 2013
Ask a Question