Controlling Feral Cat Population with Genetic Manipulation?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Herman&Eddie, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Oh, I wrote up a whole commentary on my reaction and accidentally deleted it! :rolleyes: So, here is a quick summary of my previous several paragraphs. I thought it was important to add this information, since we have been talking about the need for a better way to control the pet population and the high cost of spaying or neutering our pets. Personally, I would have thought Bob Barkers words at the end of every Price is Right game show, encouraging us to be responsible would have raised more awareness. We should be past the point of talking about the importance and NOW seeing reasonable priced or free services to ensure our pets do no have babies.

So, apparently a Oscar and Emmy winning film maker, Dr Jim Frazier, is promoting the idea to use genetic gene manipulation, so that any future cats born are only male. I would include the link to this article, but it has such a graphic video attached, You will have to Goggle it yourself, to take a look. I could just not bring myself to do it. I know something needs to be done, but just not convinced this is the way to go. What do you all think? Is this a viable option?

Herman&Eddie, Apr 21, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

That sounds crazy, but I haven't checked the video or the article yet... From here it sounds very crazy and over the top tho. Becaus then how new cats are supposed to be born if all the cats that are born are males? Wouldn't the female cats eventually die out? And then cats would go extinct? This is just a guess, because I'm sure the have covered those points already? I'd need to check the video...

Trellum, Apr 21, 2015
  3. Herman&Eddie

I know, right! But, hey, at least he has come up with an idea. Whether, I agree with it or not is another matter. lol Seriously, I do not see how it would work as you pointed out. Plus, it just sounds too strange and impossible, right?

I do not know, if I would suggest looking at the video. It appeared pretty graphic from the first image. I did not even dare play the clip! Although, I think it was a documentary. I am sure it has its beneficial noneducational attributes. He certainly did not win awards for doing poor work.

Herman&Eddie, Apr 22, 2015
  4. Herman&Eddie

Why graphic? You made me feel really curious! I might really check it once I come back home :) I hope they explain more... I mean, I'd really like to see how that plan is a plan to help decrease the feral cat population and not to erase cats from earth o_O I'm sure they explain it there? I'l watch it and tell you what I think once I do, I hope isn't too graphic tho!

Trellum, Apr 23, 2015
  5. Herman&Eddie

Yes! You watch it first and let me know! All I know is that the first image I see on the video appears to be the contents of a cats stomach. I hope, I am wrong. I had to quickly advert my eyes. Nevertheless, if you say it does not make you cringe, too much, and there is valuable information, I will give it a go.

Oh yeah, and correction from my above post, I wrote noneducational attributes. I meant to say useful educational attributes. Oops, sorry! I guess, my nerves go the best of me, while thinking of the contents of the video. :rolleyes:

Herman&Eddie, Apr 23, 2015
  6. Herman&Eddie

Sadly I couldn't find the video, but I did see a picture and it looked so gruesome! I found a short article, talking about a gene gender bias, sounds interesting, but doesn't say much more than that. Quite short! Sounds promising.

Trellum, Apr 24, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
Ask a Question