Chewing on things

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, May 14, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Does your cat chew on things ever?

My younger is currently trying to chew on my computer monitor corner. :S She also chews on the corners of boxes or new toys. She doesn't usually do it for too long and she's not very destructive with it usually. She just seems to want to taste them. :S

Jessi, May 14, 2012
  2. Jessi

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

LOL! I swear my kitty Ninja thinks he is a dog sometimes. I even bought him little rawhide sticks from the dog toy section that he packs around. He will play fetch with me sometimes with his little practice golf balls. (They have little holes in them that he sticks his teeth in and packs them around.) I had to replace my phone charger last year because the little snot chewed through the cord!

HappyRocinante, May 14, 2012
  3. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

My kitty has this habit. Right now he is biting my laptop charger and has chewed a lot of my Playstation cables. *Sigh* He is costing me a lot of money.

steph84, May 15, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hmm, just a thought....

I know kittens lose teeth and get new adult ones, just like we do....but do they "teethe"? As in, do they tend to chew on things more at that point, too?

Jessi, May 15, 2012
  5. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

Oh yes, this is what my younger does as well. And books' corners!

violino, Jun 4, 2012
  6. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

Not one of them chew on anything, well, I have yet to see Zopie chewing on things. He does like to put his head on my laptop screen when I'm typing and he wants some attention - that's about it.

Good question about the teething process. I wonder about it, now that you mentioned it. Also, I read elsewhere that female cats have periods as well....

Mystique, Jun 18, 2012
  7. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

I didn't realize some cats chewed on things like chords.:eek: I've been fortunate my cat only chews on her toys but doesn't chew anything important. Jessie you're lucky your cat only wants to taste your furniture and doesn't want to destroy it. ;) Maybe they should sell furniture flavored cat food, only joking. :p:)

tajnz, Jun 28, 2012
  8. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any of my cats chewing anything that they are not eating. The only things that they do chew other than their food is my foot. Or, more accurately, my toes.

Victor Leigh, Jun 28, 2012
  9. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Haha, so true. For declawed kitties, it should come in a pre-shredded variety, too. :p

Jessi, Jun 28, 2012
    tajnz likes this.
  10. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Dolores once chewed through the cord of my old TV. It wasn't plugged in at the time, luckily. I've also seen her shred paper and gift wrap with her teeth.
    Being a cat owner teaches you not to get too attached to things because they don't last long around cats.

ACSAPA, Jul 24, 2012
  11. Jessi

You should tell that to dog-owners. They will insist that dogs are greater chewers by far. Of course, dogs cannot match cats for sheer scratching power. Anyone with cats should really think many, many times before getting a leather sofa.

Victor Leigh, Jul 24, 2012
  12. Jessi

dconklin Active Member

My kitty will try to chew on plastic if the kids forget to throw it away. She has recently started to chew on my toes, but barely touching them with her teeth. She never hurts me, I have no idea what her obsession is with my toes all of a sudden!

dconklin, Jul 24, 2012
  13. Jessi

Maybe she has just found out that chewing on your toes is non-fattening. Don't be too sure that she will just stop at barely touching them with her teeth. One of these days, when you are sound asleep, she may decide that such dainty toes like yours are worthy of a good, full bite.

Victor Leigh, Jul 25, 2012
Ask a Question