Cats with feline Leukemia

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, May 11, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

My sister's cat died from Feline Leukemia. He had many tumors that had to be taken off on a regular basis. My one cat had this same condition, but he didn't have those types of tumors. His condition though was in the advanced stages. Who else has a cat that has or had this condition? I'm trying the best I can to help my other cats stay healthy by feeding them Blue's cat foods. I know it doesn't guarantee anything, but I know I'm doing something for them, that may help them avoid this deadly disease.

Jenny Heart, May 11, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I had a cat who died from Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS because of my ignorance of the diseases. I had always had outdoor cats when I was growing up and had never heard of either and never had any cat die from diseases like these, just accidents.

I had an indoor cat that I had adopted from the local shelter who was just driving me crazy wanting outside. So one summer I let him out and by the end of the summer he was ill. I took him to the vet and learned all about Leukemia and AIDS from my vet. My poor baby had contacted both from one of the neighborhood cats and had to be put down. The vet said there was nothing they could do for him.

Leukemia is highly contagious for cats. It is transmitted through saliva, mucus and feces. They do have a vaccine for it but it is not a sure guarantee for immunity from it, it just boost their immune system to help them from getting it easily and it does not help cats who are already infected. Your best bet is to get your vaccinations from your vet on a regular basis and to keep your cats indoors.

Feline AIDS is another immunodeficiency virus that has no real hope of survival. It is transmitted usually through the saliva from bites of an infected cat. It is also transmitted from mother to kitten through breast milk and birth fluids. There is no vaccine for this one and it is fatal to your cat. It may take years or it may progress quickly like it seemed to for my cat. The only way to avoid this one is again is to keep your cats away from any infected cat.

Keeping your cat healthy and giving it proper nutrition can definitely help with your cat's immune system but regular vaccinations and avoidance of other outdoor cats would be the best hope for avoiding these diseases.

HappyRocinante, May 12, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've never had any cats with leukemia or AIDs either one. Happy, I thought leukemia was a form of cancer and therefore couldn't be transferred from cat to cat, but after looking it up...wow, I learned a lot. I had no idea!

Jessi, May 13, 2012
Ask a Question