cats obsession with laptops?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by dario, Mar 7, 2012.

1. dario

dario Member

Does anybody know why cats are obsessed with sitting on laptops? At first I thought it could be the heat but it's not warm at all and he will quite happily sit on a PC keyboard too. It has gotten to the point where he has to be taken out of the room if I am to go on my laptop. What is most concerning is the fact that when he last sat on my laptop his body typed out a never ending sequence of '6666666666666' I was a little freaked out by that.

dario, Mar 7, 2012
  2. dario

wils172 Active Member

I've noticed this as well. I think it may have to do with the soft purring of the laptop fan.

wils172, Mar 7, 2012
  3. dario

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat is huge now and he is going to break my laptop one of these days! I blame myself for his love of my laptop. When he was little, I would put on Itunes and let him watch the cool laser show (I think it's called the Visualizer) and play some music for him. He loved it and now he sits by the fan whenever I am on the laptop. He likes to warm his bones.

steph84, Mar 9, 2012
  4. dario

Alli Well-Known Member

My cats also love the laptop- and the top of my dad's desktop monitor...maybe a combination of the heat and the soft sound

Alli, Mar 9, 2012
  5. dario

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Well, I have lost one laptop to my cat already. When I am asleep, it would dig up the keys. No idea why. Half the keys are gone. I have to use an external keyboard.

Victor Leigh, Mar 10, 2012
  6. dario

magickat Well-Known Member

I think they are attracted to the heat the laptop generates, as well as the fact that they will just sit on anything they are not supposed to lol

magickat, Mar 12, 2012
  7. dario

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think it has got to be the heat that attracts the cats. I have seen cats which love sitting on top of the television set. Probably for the same reason.

Victor Leigh, Mar 12, 2012
  8. dario

magickat Well-Known Member

They also like sitting on anything I am trying to use - laptop, book, newspaper etc etc

magickat, Mar 13, 2012
  9. dario

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I don't know why cats do this, but my inside cat loves to watch my mouse move. It is so funny, and she tries to attack the moving mouse pointer.

Wahcashmom, Mar 18, 2012
  10. dario

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I always though it was just because they were attention whores, and didn't like to see you ignore them. My cat always runs back and forth across my laptop when I am on it trying to get work done.

OhioTom76, Oct 15, 2012
  11. dario

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cats love the heat, I also think they hate anyone else, or anything else, having my attention. Sometimes Bandit just waits until I grab the laptop, then decides its cuddle time!

Scottyxx, Oct 16, 2012
  12. dario

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I know Sibyl does it for attention. She has this habit of laying on absolutely anything I'm trying to pay attention to: my laptop, the book I'm reading, some craft I'm working on, etc just to get me to look at her instead of what I'm doing. She's just a tad rotten x]

blurinoctober, Dec 10, 2012
  13. dario

steph84 Well-Known Member

I just noticed my cat being drawn to the heat too! I moved my laptop because I thought my cat was getting to hot while napping and then he woke up and followed me. He wanted to be near it. I think the heat and fan sounds are comforting for him.

steph84, Dec 11, 2012
  14. dario

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My cats insist on sitting on *anything* I'm doing. Not just if I'm at the laptop. I'm sure it's the warmth or sound usually, but who knows? It could simply be wanting to be near you.

Jessi, Dec 19, 2012
  15. dario

blackcapped Active Member

[​IMG]

Have you guys ever seen this meme before? I think it's cute!

My cats are the same way, Jessi. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing- folding laundry, homework, reading- they are always right there.

blackcapped, Dec 27, 2012
  16. dario

BugM Member

I have definitely noticed this! If I walk away from my laptop for more than a few minutes, I will come back to one of my boys curled up on it. Fortunately it's the younger, smaller boys that do this. I think it's a combination of the warmth it puts off, the soft noise the fan makes when it kicks up a little, the light on the screen, and even the noise the keys make when they press down on them with their body weight. I feel the last one has an effect on them because I've watched one of my boys purposely hit the keys, stop, and listen to the noise and repeat. It's almost funny. I try not to ever leave a document or email open just in case. I do end up leaving IM screens open, which is almost always funny, since they always manage to hit the enter button. The best is still coming back, and seeing they're already asleep. It's very cute (and slightly annoying, obviously).

BugM, Jan 4, 2013
  17. dario

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Cats only seem interested in the computer when people are using it, so I'm not sure it's just the warmth. I agree with blurinoctober that it's probably something cats do for attention. My animals are interested in anything I'm holding in my hand, even if it's a Twizzler. I mostly use my desktop computer and my cat still tries to park herself on the keyboard or tower- but only when I'm at my desk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ACSAPA, Mar 13, 2013
  18. dario

Yiddo Active Member

Mine has an obsession, yep.

Whenever I'm on my bed with the laptop, he'll jump up and try to lay all over the keyboard. I have to make him get off or else I can't do anything haha.

Yiddo, Apr 23, 2013
  19. dario

mariposa Well-Known Member

I've heard that it's the combination of the warmth (even if it doesn't feel heated to us, it is and the cat can feel it) and the humming/purring sound that the computer makes. That said, I'm personally pretty well convinced sometimes that it's done to make us stop typing to pay attention to our furry princess. Cats are smart that way. ;)

mariposa, Apr 24, 2013
  20. dario

jules Active Member

I always see pictures of cats sitting on the laptops or hanging around it. My cat must be the only one who does not care for the laptop at all. It just takes one look at me doing my work and goes to sit by the window usually. Looking at birds and plotting their demise is key to my cat rather than hanging around my laptop.

jules, Jun 1, 2013
Ask a Question