Cats getting mad when you leave

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Does your cat get upset with you when you leave for the weekend or a vacation?

Better yet, do they hold a grudge like this cat seems to?

Jessi, Dec 17, 2012
  2. Jessi

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Mine seem so much more happy once I return! They get overly attached, and pretty much become my shadow for a week! I think they just get worried I will leave them for real.

Scottyxx, Dec 17, 2012
  3. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cats are always super happy when I return. The only time they really hate me is when they are getting in their carry case to go to the vet. They hate that lil box, but for some reason they like sitting in it when I bring them back home. They're also really happy when they come home from the vet's office too. I would think they would hate me then, but they don't.

steph84, Dec 19, 2012
  4. Jessi

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Sibyl generally acts a little annoyed when we first come home, but gets over it within a few hours and starts acting all lovey-dovey again. We've yet to leave Alice at home for a weekend, so I'm not sure what she's going to do.

blurinoctober, Dec 21, 2012
  5. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

Luckily in the past all of my cats seemed over the moon when I returned home from a few days away. Like some of you my cats would follow me around and brush up against my legs. They'd also follow me if it looked like I was heading for the door.:D I'd feel really guilty if I ever had a cat who looked at me like the cat in the above photo looked at its owners. :eek:

tajnz, Dec 22, 2012
  6. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

My cat doesn't tend to glare over your shoulder like that.

She doesn't get mad....she gets even.

Which means she will do things like....oh, I don't know....eat all the leaves off the live plants in the house and pee in the shoes. ><

Jessi, Dec 23, 2012
  7. Jessi

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

So, I laughed when I read that, but I doubt it's any fun whatsoever to live through. Your poor plants and shoes!

blurinoctober, Dec 23, 2012
  8. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Indeed!

It used to upset my mom so much because my cat seemed to dislike her most. Early on, it would've been just me (as the owner, which my cat liked), my dad (who was male, so she hated him least), and then my mom....her default arch enemy at the time. My mom would do the simplest thing, like trip over her when it was obviously my cat causing the issue in the first place, and my cat would take offense to it....and then seek revenge, lol.

Jessi, Dec 23, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  9. Jessi

Epicfied Well-Known Member

Those poor plants... It was awful.
    No wonder we don't keep plants in the house anymore!

Neko doesn't get mad... she just gets very cuddly if I'm gone for a while.
    Neko will get really nervous if Jessi hasn't visited in a while though.
    Kind of like a stranger coming into the house.

Epicfied, Jan 3, 2013
  10. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Technically I AM a stranger at that point really. It's not like she was around me for years and years and then I left, like with the older one. Neko only had me in smaller quantities anyway and then when I disappear, I think she forgets that I once lived there. She warms up fairly quickly at least.

Jessi, Jan 3, 2013
  11. Jessi

She warms up to you a lot quicker than she does to actual new people.

Epicfied, Jan 12, 2013
  12. Jessi

Lex Member

Recently, blurinoctober and I took a trip (that we're still on, in fact) to Missouri, in order to visit some family. According to my mother, who is taking care of our cats, Sibyl is being as mopey as she possible can be. Sleeping all the time, slinking around the house, etc. Alice, however, either A) hasn't noticed that we've left or B) doesn't care; she's the same as she's always been.

Lex, Jan 28, 2013
  13. Jessi

jose26425 Member

I'm lucky in the fact that my cats couldn't really care less when I leave. We normally leave them in the back bedroom to save them from scratching our furniture, so that means that the entire bed and closets are all theirs. They spend the entire time lounging around in places they normally can't because there's simply no room. As long as we leave plenty of food and water they could snooze for days without us there.

jose26425, Jun 11, 2013
  14. Jessi

TheBrit Member

Not really a vacation type story but when I had all three ferrels whenever I went out they would follow, especially Blackie. They were allowed to stay in the apartment daytime for coolness but no, if I was out so were they.

As I got closer to the community gates they would park themselves and watch me. I could be gone for an hour or three. When ever I got back, walking towards the apartment they would start to appear, one by one, from the flower and shrub beds.
    By the time I got to the apartment steps I would feel like the Pied Piper of Hamlyn with cats instead of rats following along behind me.

TheBrit, Jun 21, 2013
  15. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I don't really travel, can't afford to, so I don't leave my pets alone for more than a few hours. I'm not sure if my cat would care enough to glare at me in resentment for leaving on a trip.

ACSAPA, Jul 26, 2013
  16. Jessi

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Even coming home from work now, my little guys know the sound of my car. They come running to the front door and sit and wait for me to come in, sometimes I fool them and come in the back door - they get so confused and sad, and then run as fast as they can to meet me.

Mine are very co-dependent.

Scottyxx, Aug 21, 2013
  17. Jessi

haha We do that with the dog.How our house is set up, it wraps around and we have two front doors.
    I'll go in the one he can't get to (gate) and confuse him thoroughly.

Epicfied, Sep 14, 2013
  18. Jessi

Trellum Well-Known Member

I couldn't help loling at this pic!!! It's so funny!!! That cat seems to be really pissed off at that guy, even tho we don't really know the real reason, it seems legit!

As for my cat, yes, he seems to give me the cold treatment when I come back after a day out from the house. He acts like I'm not there, lol. But if I take longer, like for example, when I travel outside the country and my parents have to take care of him, he seems extremely happy to see me! When I travel outside the country, I usually stay away from home for 1 or 2 months, so I guess I should be glad Bob still remembers me, lol.

Trellum, Oct 7, 2013
Ask a Question