Cats Biting Me While Petting Them?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by jose26425, Jun 4, 2013.

1. jose26425

jose26425 Member

Hello! I have a relatively small problem here pertaining to my two cats. I'm not sure of the breed considering we got them from the pound when they were both kittens. Lately, I've found that my cats will lightly bite while I'm petting them. It doesn't matter if they are purring or not. It's happened both time. It's not hard enough to break skin, but they definitely make it known. I've read online and found that it's either way of their showing affection, or a way of saying that the petting is aggravating them. Have any of you experienced this? Any ideas?

jose26425, Jun 4, 2013
  2. jose26425

jules Active Member

I used to have this happen to me too. It usually meant that it was sick of me and wanted me to get out of its face. Now, it just comes rubbing itself on my feet seeking attention when I don't give it attention. Your cats probably had too much of your loving. Ignore it for a while and they'll come running back to be petted.

jules, Jun 4, 2013
  3. jose26425

Jezebella Member

Okay that generally means that you should give your cat a break from petting. Generally there will be signs before the nip though. Do they glare quickly back at you first? Do their ears go out and lower? Do their tails suddenly start swishing back and forth rapidly? Generally a cat gives a few signals that it is done with affection time before they nip, but without knowing what the body language means it can be difficult to figure out that your cat is reaching it's petting threshold. It seems like your pets may be a little low. My suggestion would be for you to really watch them when you are petting them. If you know what they are doing directly before they nip you you'll be able to stop petting them before they get to that point. Also, if they nip you don't just start petting them again. They are probably telling you that they need a break.

Jezebella, Jun 24, 2013
  4. jose26425

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

When my cat is about to strike because she's annoyed with being petted, her pupils usually get big and she usually swishes her tail back and forth quickly. That's when I know that it's on and I should get out of her face.

ACSAPA, Jun 24, 2013
  5. jose26425

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I've had cats do it in a soft, playful way, but it generally meant for me to leave them alone. My cats get very touchy a few minutes into petting; they like it at first, but then I hit some line and they basically scream. "STOP!" at me. I would just back up and let them have some space, if I were you.

blurinoctober, Jul 7, 2013
  6. jose26425

Trellum Well-Known Member

This happened to me when I was paying too much attention to my cat, let's face it, cats are complicated animals :D When they start bitting you when you pet them, it usually means they don't feel like being pet at that time and you should stop it asap. Ever since my cat bite me when I pet it, I stopped petting him, and now he's the ones who comes rubbing against my leg asking me to pet him :) Don't take it too personal, this is part of the cats personality.

Trellum, Oct 1, 2013
  7. jose26425

steph84 Well-Known Member

They are just kittens and they are playing. I don't think they are trying to tell you that they don't want your love. They are just playful at that age and are attacking your hand as a form of play hunting. Just tell them "no!" in a firm voice so you can train them to not bite you. They'll get the picture eventually.

steph84, Oct 17, 2013
Ask a Question