Cats are "stressed because we treat them like dogs"?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Anne, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

I was trying to research a question I saw raised somewhere on this forum and stumbled on this very interesting piece. Cats being stressed because we" treat them like dogs".?

Don't we treat our dogs like family? I certainly do! As I read the piece I soon understood the point the writer was making. The article was suggesting that often we cat owners expect our cats to behave like dogs. Immediately I understood where the writer was coming and knew that I was guilty in this regard.

So that I do not misrepresent the writer I am providing the link below for your perusal. I am interested in hearing what you folks think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...stressed-because-we-treat-them-like-dogs.html

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Anne, Dec 7, 2014
  2. Anne

Liliana P. Member

Hi Anne. The article was very interesting. I never thought I could treat my cat like a dog, but after reading it I think there are a few changes I need to go for. Thank you!

Liliana P., Dec 7, 2014
  3. Anne

maryannballeras Member

Thank you so much for this article! I've never thought that I was treating my cat like a dog, but after reading it, I think I am so guilty of doing just that. And the tips on how to train your cat is really helpful, too!

maryannballeras, Dec 8, 2014
  4. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

Maryannballeras, Lilliana P you are both welcome. I actually went doing a little research when someone posted that they had some issues trying to get their cat and dog to get along. It was then that I stumbled on this very interesting reading. My cat is now dead and I firmly believe that I probably should have treated him like a dog at least in one way. I should have taken him on walks with a leash something most only associate with dogs. Had I not allow him to roam freely around the neighborhood, he would have been alive today. I wish I was at least guilty of that.

In other areas, I am also guilty and perhaps would have needed to work on these things were he still alive. I must confess that I wanted my cat to shower me with love the way my dogs did. I could never understand why she did not want to spend as much time wrapped up in me as my dogs did. From the reading I understand things much better now.

Anne, Dec 8, 2014
Ask a Question