Cats and Babys

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by amy005, Nov 22, 2011.

1. amy005

amy005 Well-Known Member

I have a 3 month old and my cat has been trying to lay next to him and me for a while now when my baby is on the bed with me. I don't want my 3 month old to become suffocated accidentally by him but every time I try to get my cat off the bed he will try jumping back on. Anyone else had any issues with this? I feel bad because I still want to give my cat attention but he is just not as important to me as my child.

amy005, Nov 22, 2011
  2. amy005

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I'd be more concerned if your baby were a newborn. Is your baby (he? she?) able to move his/her head yet?

Wallie0921, Nov 22, 2011
  3. amy005

amy005 Well-Known Member

He is starting to be able to move his head but not a whole lot. My cat is pretty fat too and has tried literally jumping on top of my child. I think he is jealous so sometimes acts really crazy and hyper. I am also not talking about my baby sleeping on the bed it is just when we are playing with toys or reading together. But still it scares me.

amy005, Nov 22, 2011
  4. amy005

luvmypets Member

You can get nets that fit over cribs. They are to keep babies in and cats out. Search for it on BabierRUs.com.

luvmypets, Dec 3, 2011
  5. amy005

Yolanda Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be jealousy, he might just want to lay on top of him (even though that's not really handy, it doesn't have to be negative behavior intentionally).
    The net for the crib sounds good, but this doesn't seem to be the issue. Just when you are playing or lying on the bed with your baby, right? I guess giving your cat suffient attention and being aware is all you can do really, and it seems like you already do these things. Perhaps distract your cat by throwing away a toy he or she loves so he/she will chase it?

Yolanda, Dec 3, 2011
  6. amy005

Alli Well-Known Member

I don't think it is really possible for a cat to smother a baby- I always heard that was a myth or urban legend kinda thing. Nonetheless, your baby might get a mouthful of fur, which is just yucky, so that's reason enough to try to keep the cat away. If it's just when you are playing with the baby, maybe let the cat check out the baby for a few minutes then distract the cat. You might need to put the cat in another room while baby is enjoying tummy or bed time. Then maybe give the cat some extra attention while baby is napping, so your cat doesnt feel left out. As the baby gets older, its good to let them interact.

Alli, Dec 3, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  7. amy005

Becky Well-Known Member

I think Yolanda is right - cats can be a bit moody, so making sure it does not feel jealous could help.

Becky, Dec 5, 2011
  8. amy005

steph84 Well-Known Member

Spend more time with your cat and pet him when he jumps up. Make sure to close your baby's door during nap time and keep the cat out until you get some netting for your baby's crib. The cat is just intrigued by the new little person in the house and wants to say hello. The more comfortable your cat gets around the baby, the less likely he will want to "smother" it.

steph84, Jan 28, 2012
  9. amy005

magickat Well-Known Member

It's probably a combination of curiosity and jealousy. I would let the cat check out the baby but if he gets too rough gently tell him off so he learns the boundaries. This way the cat and baby will get used to each other.

magickat, Jan 28, 2012
  10. amy005

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

SallyintheValley41, Jan 29, 2012
  11. amy005

magickat Well-Known Member

I hope my cats will be good babysitters when I have my baby lol

magickat, Feb 11, 2012
  12. amy005

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Awwwww I can see Booger or Tigger doing something like that! That cat looks like Kit Kat the feral cat that we feed.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 14, 2012
Ask a Question