Cat walking

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kat74, Nov 29, 2011.

1. kat74

kat74 Active Member

My daughter wishes to take walks with the cat. The problem is every time she tries to go out with her, she wants to go her way. Cats are not like dogs which follow you and walk with you. So, what can she do and how can she have walks with her without carrying her all the time.

kat74, Nov 29, 2011
  2. kat74

Becky Well-Known Member

I have a friend who tried taking his cat for a walk with a harness - you certainly need a lot of patience and be prepared for it to take a while!

Here's a Wiki Guide which may help :) http://www.wikihow.com/Leash-Train-a-Cat

Becky, Nov 30, 2011
  3. kat74

magickat Well-Known Member

If you have a garden perhaps try walking her around there at first to get used to the harness. We had to use a harness for one of our cats for a little while and she did get used to it, it was much better with a longer lead though.

magickat, Nov 30, 2011
  4. kat74

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Try letting her smell her favorite treat, and coax her to walk toward it, which is in front of her. My cat love their snack treats and will do almost anything to get some. It's worth a try to help with this situation.Let me know what works, because i thought about walking them in the future.

Jenny Heart, Apr 12, 2012
  5. kat74

Jessi Well-Known Member

Why is it that she wants to go for walks with her? As you said, they're not really like dogs and that's not something they generally even enjoy, especially if it involves putting on a harness or leash. Yes, some can be trained for it, but it definitely takes time and they usually start as kittens so it becomes the norm.

Jessi, Apr 12, 2012
  6. kat74

steph84 Well-Known Member

I would walk my cat KittY Love on a leash when I was trying to introduce him to going outside. He would just wander around and start exploring. After about 10 minutes or so he got comfortable with the harness and I kept doing it every weekend so that he would get used to it. He likes it now.

steph84, Apr 13, 2012
Ask a Question