Cat medication and weight gain

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by HappyRocinante, May 10, 2012.

1. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

My little guy, Mouth, is asthmatic and has to take Temril twice a day. It causes him to eat more and thus gain weight. I have two cats and can't separate their food or just feed them once a day since Ninja will just eat both. (He is a little bit of a bully.) I also don't want to listen to Mouth meow at me all day for food, makes me feel sorry for the little guy. Does anyone else have a cat who needs to loose weight? Any suggestions?

HappyRocinante, May 10, 2012
  2. HappyRocinante

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Remember to try to reduce their calories gradually. I've heard that if cat lose weight dramatically diseases may happen to them. I feed my cats Blues adult cat food, and then half it with Prescription Diet brand cat food, and this is helping my cats stay at an average cat weight.

Jenny Heart, Jun 5, 2012
  3. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

The problem is that Mouth's medicine has a little bit of a steroid in it which makes him want to eat more often. The vet just told me that I will have to either cut back on the medicine and watch him to make sure his asthma is within decent parameters or just let him be overweight. Well, I attempted to cut back on his medicine just a little and he starts coughing. I can't let the little guy suffer so I think I will just have to deal with a fat cat. I just can't stand to let him meow at me all day for food either. It's not like he doesn't talk enough already. :p

HappyRocinante, Jun 6, 2012
  4. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

Why can't you separate them? If Ninja is a bully, why can't he just be put in a room while you feed the other?

Also, if he acts hungry and begs for food, what about feeding him vegetables? When helping dogs lose weight, green beans are a great way to stretch food, add nutrition, and make them feel fuller without adding any extra calories. For cats, peas would be a better option to try first.

Jessi, Jun 18, 2012
Ask a Question