Cat Lice

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by msmonkeyfeet, Oct 8, 2012.

1. msmonkeyfeet

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever had any experience with lice on cats? Were they hard to get rid of? I believe both of my cats somehow have lice and I'll be making them a vet appointment tomorrow but I just wanted to get your input on the subject. I had originally thought that they were fleas but they don't jump, they crawl through the fur and that seems to be in line with the descriptions of their behavior that I found online. I gave both of them a bath today with flea and tick shampoo and it seemed to kill the majority of them but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I feel awful for the poor kitties :(

msmonkeyfeet, Oct 8, 2012
  2. msmonkeyfeet

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ew, no.

I didn't even know cats could get lice. At first I was going to assume that was really fleas instead, but you said you looked it up....and then so did I. Those poor kitties.

It sounds like you're already doing what you need to do to take care of it, though. Remember that lice eggs can live through a lot and reappear next month if they're not completely removed, so make sure you clean them as much as possible and retreat in a few days.

Jessi, Oct 8, 2012
  3. msmonkeyfeet

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

Both of my cats have a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon but in the meantime the vet suggested I start them on Frontline, which I have so hopefully that takes care of it. Now I just need to go on a complete cleaning spree of my house! The vet seems to think that they're actually fleas and thankfully they haven't affected myself or my son.

msmonkeyfeet, Oct 9, 2012
Ask a Question