Cat is peeing on bedding...help!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jowjo5, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

We have a cat named Moose who is a darling boy, but he has a habit of peeing on bedding and at times on my laundry!
    I took him to the vet and he was given a medicine/antibiotic for a few weeks. Tested for stones etc. I was hopeful this would work as the vet said most likely he is trying to tell us something is wrong by doing this to the bedding and laundry.
    As the days went on, no change. Still keeping the laundry in a closed container before the wash and directly folded and put away after the wash. But, he is still doing it. I don't know what to do at this point. We have thrown out bedding from my sons bed twice now as I can't get the smell gone. The cat is nurtured so it isn't that issue.
    My husband is upset as he is a professional man and does not want his clothes smelling like that while at work. Can't blame him there.
    Has anyone ever dealt with this and what did you do? Is it behavioral? There have been no big changes at all in our house to make it start up.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Frustrated husband and a wife who loves her cat!

jowjo5, Feb 14, 2013
  2. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oy.

Well let's start with his kitty litter. Is he using it at all? Or is he completely peeing outside the box on other things instead? Have you replaced the box recently? Is it cleaned regularly?

Jessi, Feb 14, 2013
  3. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

Yes, he uses it to poop, but not pee. Even if it is freshly cleaned, he won't put his front paws in, he stands up and puts his front paws on the edge of it and does his business.
    I am not sure if this is a clean issue because I clean it daily. So after the vet visit and him saying it might be behavioral I am not sure where to turn to next.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

jowjo5, Feb 14, 2013
  4. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Has he always done it that way? I'm just asking because sometimes the litter boxes will hold smells in the plastic after a while. I had an issue with mine doing the same thing and it was technically behavioral because she was rebelling against it, but it was corrected by replacing the whole box with a new one and somewhat 'retraining' her by putting her in the box. She wouldn't even put her front paws on the box, but would poop right next to it....and would pee in shoes and on the couch.

Jessi, Feb 15, 2013
  5. jowjo5

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I we wont pee in the litter box, maybe he needs retrained, or as Jessi says there might be a smell. My cats litter box is inside a plastic Tote.

Kinda like this [​IMG]but the litter goes in a litter tray in the box.

I find this helps my cats go into the box because the can pee standing up if they want so they dont have to touch as much litter. You might want to try (as disgusting as it is) putting some of the laundry or something laundry ish into the litter box for a while and see if you can retrain the cat to go back in.

Also if the smell is an issue, I have found using a Clumping litter, with some baking soda sprinkled through it makes a big difference to the smell.

Sometimes cats do things like this to mark their territory, or to tell you they are upset. If you can rule out jealousy / upsetness and the cat being stressed or needing to show it is dominant, then changing the litter might help!

Scottyxx, Feb 15, 2013
  6. jowjo5

Also, thinking more, maybe the cat is in pain when it pees? And it wants something soft and comforting when it does its business? Make sure you give the cat plenty of water (I use filtered water, because my cat is a freaking princess with water) and I even mix extra water into the wet food I give them to make sure they don't get dehydrated. Maybe the smell of you, and the softness of the laundry is comforting to the cat when it is hurting. Could be a UTI or a blockage somewhere. With a UTI just make sure the cat has lots and lots of water.

Scottyxx, Feb 15, 2013
  7. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

I have a new box' we shall see what happens. I have also been told if you have multiple cats that might be why the issue I present. I have three cats, do I need thee liter boxes? Oh I hope not!
    Thanks for all of the info and advice. I am willing to try it all. Love the cat, just not him using our things as a place to go.

jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013
  8. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

How long have you had 3 of them? If it wasn't a problem previously and you're doing the exact same thing, then I don't expect that to be the problem now either. That being said, having multiple boxes might help alleviate the problem, especially if any of the cats are starting to get on the older side.

Jessi, Feb 16, 2013
  9. jowjo5

They say you need the number of cats +1 litter trays, but that seems a little bit over the top. My guys happily share the same one, even when Bandit is sick and stinking the place up, Pussington will always use it.

Scottyxx, Feb 19, 2013
  10. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the formula is a bit much, too. I have heard it before, but I have never followed it. We have two cats that use a single box and it's fine. I can see the advantage of having another one if we had more cats, but I just don't want boxes all over the house.

Jessi, Feb 19, 2013
  11. jowjo5

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Alice started doing this when I changed their litterbox. I moved it from beside the bed to behind my headboard (my bed is in the middle of the room, not against any wall) and upgraded to a bigger box. I had been using a small litterbox for just Sibyl and it wasn't cutting it once we got Alice too. This small change upset Alice and she began peeing on the bed, sometimes even on my feet! We just watched her closely and put her in the litterbox ourselves every time she looked like she was going to pee, or immediately after she did so. It took a little while, but this simple act trained her out of doing it. I hope you can figure something out that works for you!

blurinoctober, Feb 27, 2013
Ask a Question