Cat eats bread with margarine

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kat74, Nov 25, 2011.

1. kat74

kat74 Active Member

Our cat can only eat the bread if you apply margarine in it. If you try to give it with, it doesn't eat it, she also likes eating bit and bit which you throw to her and if you throw huge one, she doesn't eat them. She also likes eating some vegetables and boiled corn. Is that weird and does your cat behave the same?

kat74, Nov 25, 2011
  2. kat74

catnhorsegirl Member

Cozie, my oldest cat, really likes to eat butter with margarine on it. She won't eat it any other way. She's not into vegetables though unless you count her eating houseplants when her tummy is unsettled.

catnhorsegirl, Nov 26, 2011
  3. kat74

Yolanda Well-Known Member

My cats have no trouble with butter, even though I never give it to them. Our VET told us bread is bad for their skin, so they never get it.
    They aren't attracted to it either, so that makes it even easier. They do get treats and a couple of them like veggies. Fresh fish or chicken are the favorites, though!

Yolanda, Nov 26, 2011
  4. kat74

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

That is so cute, my cat loves butter... but will not eat the bread. I was really surprised today to see her try and eat mac & cheese. She sure did love that chesse, it was so cute and funny.

Wahcashmom, Dec 22, 2011
  5. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My cats like their bread unbuttered. They don't eat much, though. It sticks between their teeth and they take a long time to finish just one small piece.

Victor Leigh, Dec 26, 2011
  6. kat74

doublelady Active Member

My cats don't like bread, but they've tried to steal sticks of butter before. They mostly only want to eat bits of meat or occasionally a small piece of cheese. I prefer to give them raw meat as a treat.

doublelady, Dec 26, 2011
  7. kat74

steph84 Well-Known Member

How funny! My cat Kiki (R.I.P.) would love to eat buttered up waffles! It was so funny, but she loved her waffles. She would eat breakfast with us and go wild for her waffles. The cats love their butter.

steph84, Dec 27, 2011
  8. kat74

amy005 Well-Known Member

This makes sense since all cats love butter or margarine. I always find my cat jumping on the counter trying to eat the butter. I don't think it is good to feed cats food that is not intended for them to eat though so I avoid giving him anything but cat food.

amy005, Dec 28, 2011
  9. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I wonder why cats are attractive to butter. It's seems to be quite a messy meal. Maybe it's the saltish taste.

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
  10. kat74

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a cat eating bread. I love when cats eat weird things (as long as it's okay for them). My cat never eats anything but sardines and cat food.

Belligerent, Jan 4, 2012
  11. kat74

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

One of the legends about cats is that if you put butter on their paws when you move to a new place, they will always find their way home (I just don't let mine out of the house -- just because a cat can find his way home doesn't mean he will, in a neighborhood bounded by busy streets).

I read an article once (or maybe my ex-husband read the article, I can't remember now) that said that this actually does work. It has something to do with lodging the smell of the new place in their Jacobson's organ (the sensory area in the roof of the mouth that snakes use when they "taste" the air).

When cats make that funny open mouth grimace when they smell something they don't like, they're using their Jacobson's organ, too.

People also have them, though we don't use them much. I used to feel it in mine when my son needed a clean diaper. Like you needed to know that.:)

Wallie0921, Jan 4, 2012
  12. kat74

magickat Well-Known Member

All my cats love butter and margarine and a couple of them like bread. Smudge (the mum in my profile pic) loves all sorts of bread - even wraps!

magickat, Jan 13, 2012
  13. kat74

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat Dolores will lick the floor if I accidentally drop butter or drop a piece of toast and it lands butter side down. I don't intentionally feed her butter, but a sometimes meals end with Dolores getting a hold of butter. That cat is crafty.

ACSAPA, Sep 21, 2012
  14. kat74

andrew320 Well-Known Member

I can somewhat the same experience. One of our boys will only lick the butter/margarine from the bread, but refuses to eat the bread itself. He hates all kind of human food, but loves butter/margarine. Our other guy on the other hand will eat the entire bread with butter/margarine. Interesting creatures.

andrew320, Sep 27, 2012
Ask a Question