Cat drinking tap water

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by S.L.Diamond, Apr 29, 2013.

1. S.L.Diamond

S.L.Diamond Member

Okay so my little cat is a bit of an odd character. Every now and then he likes drinking from the tap in the bathroom. I don't know what it is, but he will sit there for ages, just licking the dripping water from the tap and although to me it's not that hygenic, he is just too adorable so I leave him to it.
    I wondered whether anyone else's cats do this, or maybe have an equally odd habit that you'd like to share?

S.L.Diamond, Apr 29, 2013
  2. S.L.Diamond

CatFour Active Member

A couple of my cats do that too. They get up on the bathroom sink or in the bathtub and and lick around the bottom of the faucet. So sometimes I'll barely turn the water on so they can drink, but they usually don't. They just like licking the faucet for some reason.

CatFour, Apr 29, 2013
  3. S.L.Diamond

mariposa Well-Known Member

Our cat does that, but mostly when we're traveling and in a hotel room. The tubs there are usually lower and a lot easier to get into than ours at home is. Sometimes we turn it on a slow stream for her to see if she'll drink, but a hotel bathroom isn't really the most sanitary of places. Shivers. :eek:

mariposa, Apr 29, 2013
  4. S.L.Diamond

Britt24xoxo Member

My female cat does the exact same thing. I have three cats and she is the only female. Often I think she does it because she doesn't like drinking after my male cats. Maybe the water from the tap is more sanitary in her mind. It's cute to watch her for sure. Only on those lazy, rainy days does she actually drink the water from her bowl. Every other day of the week you can see her hoping into the sink to drink the dripping water as it falls.

Britt24xoxo, Apr 30, 2013
  5. S.L.Diamond

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Our cat never did this. However, our taps were not really accessible to her so that might be the reason for it. She had her own water bowl and there were no other cats so perhaps she was content with that. Maybe the cats who do this just like the texture of the tap itself.

GavinMcresty, Apr 30, 2013
  6. S.L.Diamond

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Bob has never done that. I don't see him doing that, unless he had no water left and he hadn't drank a drop of it for days. The behaviour of your cat is really odd, but some cats have their own quirks.

Trellum, Jan 11, 2014
  7. S.L.Diamond

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

Both my cats do the same thing. Maybe because they just like running water.:)

Mocha&Latte, Jan 26, 2014
  8. S.L.Diamond

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat does that if he's in the bathroom with me. He will jump up on the sink and I know he wants a drink. He has water in his bowl, but he just likes the sensation and will always want a sip.

steph84, Feb 1, 2014
Ask a Question