Cat doors

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, May 14, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

For any of you with inside/outside cats, do you have a cat/pet door installed so they can come and go whenever they please without begging at the door? How did you get them to start using it?

Jessi, May 14, 2012
  2. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have too many stray cats to get a cat door. I would love one because my cats are always bugging me to go outside, but i know I would have about 20 cats coming in at all hours if I got one.

steph84, May 15, 2012
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh! I hadn't even thought about that. :S You're so right....I wouldn't be able to have one because the cats that -aren't- mine would end up making themselves at home anyway. There's currently a stray who I'm having issues with who really, really wants to come inside but isn't ours. Our dog has trouble getting -out- because the cat tries to come in at the same time, haha.

Jessi, May 15, 2012
  4. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

The cat-door that I have is certainly bigger than the photo (that was cute, btw - shame, the cat) :D and I played with Snowy by pulling one of her strings through the door. A few times, my boyfriend's daughter would take Snowy's treats and placed them from one end through the door to the other :D That worked.

I don't have an issue with other cats (because there aren't any cats here, just dogs), but I can see that it can bring lots of mess for those who have other cats around the neighbourhood.

Mystique, May 16, 2012
  5. Jessi

footballtim Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of cat doors because I am not a fan of letting your cat loose outside without a good fence. They can catch too many diseases, get lost, or get hit by a car.

However, if you DO have a good fence in your yard, then I think the cat door is great.

footballtim, Sep 8, 2012
Ask a Question