Can cats see in the dark?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Herman&Eddie, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

I would think that cats can see in the dark, but I wonder! So much so, that I keep a few night lights in the house, just for them!. Okay, for me, too! Yet, it gives me comfort to keep it on for them because they are always on the prowl at night.

I have heard others say cats can see better then humans and others say this is a myth. Anyone ever come across any conclusive evidence on this subject? Or, have a strong opinions or experience on whether cats can see better in the dark?

Herman&Eddie, Apr 14, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

As far as I know cats have an excellent sight.... even when it's dark. I mean, they might not see in great detail, but they DEFINITELY have a superior sight in the dark. Their eyes are better equipped for that, after all they still are little predators ;)

Trellum, Apr 15, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  3. Herman&Eddie

MER Well-Known Member

Cats requie 1/6th the light that we do to see. If you know anything about camera film, they see things like we do in a negative. They are pretty blind right under thier nose for some reason.

MER, Sep 22, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  4. Herman&Eddie

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Exactly what MER said. :)

Susan Brown, Sep 27, 2015
  5. Herman&Eddie

MER Well-Known Member

Hey -
    I came across this picture that shows the difference between what people can see at night and what a cat is able to see at the same time. Remember, cats only require 1/6 the amount of light we need to see. When their eyes enlarge, that just helps them size up what their about to pounce on or run away from. lGRNPGi.jpg lGRNPGi.jpg

MER, Nov 30, 2015
  6. Herman&Eddie

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Wow MER thank you for posting this. This is so cool. It is nice to see the comparison and to see things through the eyes of our kitties. Very cool!

Susan Brown, Dec 2, 2015
  7. Herman&Eddie

KimmyMarkks Active Member

I always thought cats are nocturnal. Therefore they would see better in the dark. Is this true? My cat (like most cats) sleep all day and runs around the house at night and wakes everyone up.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 3, 2015
  8. Herman&Eddie

MER Well-Known Member

You're right. Cats are nocturnal. They tend to rest or sleep during the day because by instinct, they hunt for prey 'after hours'. I do think that they probably see better with less light and have a very narrow focal point with daylight. I'm sure you've noticed how they have little slits in their eyes during bright light periods.

I did see a photo once of "what a cat sees" during daylight hours. Compared to how we see, I felt sad as to what they can see but they get by so maybe our understanding isn't all that accurate. Who knows?

MER, Dec 3, 2015
  9. Herman&Eddie

p885 Member

I wish that I could see has well as a cat in the dark.

p885, Dec 4, 2015
Ask a Question