Burning off Whiskers?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Scottyxx, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Has anyone else experienced this or are my cats just a little bit "special".

Pussington, LOVES Flames for some reason. So whenever I have a candle in the house she actually goes in and sticks her head right into it, setting his whiskers ablaze and singeing them off. She still has her side whiskers but the whiskers on the top of her head are just completely gone now.

Will they grow back?
    Will this affect her balance or anything like this?
    Anyone else's cat done this?

Scottyxx, Jan 23, 2013
  2. Scottyxx

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Dusty will look at them from a distance and Sassy doesn't care. I think your cat may just be really unique!
    They grow back, I cut off my mom's cats when I was 3 or 4 because I was..um..really mischievous.
    My mom's cat didn't have balance problems when I cut hers. I have heard cats have nerves in their whiskers but I think that's a rumor because they would be screaming in pain if they had feeling.

CinnamonKiss, Jan 23, 2013
  3. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, they will grow back.

Yes, it could throw off her balance. It might throw off her perception, too (like if she can fit through a certain opening). Because it's the ones on top of her head, though, and not the side ones, I wouldn't be too worried.

And nope, never had it happen!

Jessi, Jan 24, 2013
  4. Scottyxx

I guess my cat is just special hahaha! I don't know why she keeps on doing it, you think she would learn, but NOPE!

Scottyxx, Jan 24, 2013
  5. Scottyxx

shdws Well-Known Member

Wow this is the first time I hear of something like this. As Jessi said, the whiskers will grow back so don't worry. In the mean time, she will probably have a few coordination issues but nothing to serious I'm sure.

shdws, Jan 25, 2013
  6. Scottyxx

Yeah she seems fairly unique in her stupidness, her love of fire is unparalleled in this world. She never had the best co-ordination to begin with so I assume she'll be as clumsy as ever! The best part is she has done this at least 3 times now!

Scottyxx, Jan 28, 2013
  7. Scottyxx

shdws Well-Known Member

Three times? Wow I'd want to be careful she doesn't get more seriously hurt. Might have to do without candles. :confused:

shdws, Jan 28, 2013
  8. Scottyxx

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I'd keep an eye on your cat when they are whiskerless, if I were you. My cats have never gotten into flame like that, but one of my friend's cats did. He lost his whiskers and it messed with his balance so badly that he ended up falling off a second story porch and dying. He was thrown off so much he landed badly. For that reason, I'll always be paranoid about cats without whiskers! Even if I know they'll grow back, I get paranoid about it. Some cats really rely on them and it can come back to hurt them if they're gone.

blurinoctober, Jan 29, 2013
  9. Scottyxx

She doesn't seem to be doing too badly! The burning always seems to happen when I light a candle and forget to warn her. If I scold her right away for it, she will stay away while the candle burns if not she is right in there up against it. I saw her laying on top of our heating vent last night, I picked her up and she was burning hot, almost too hot to touch. This cat loves the warm so much, I am afraid she'll hurt herself. We are in a Bungalow too so luckily there is no where high for her to fall from other than fall off the fridge or bookcase is she was climbing, but she has never been very good at jumping, climbing or landing regardless!

Scottyxx, Jan 29, 2013
  10. Scottyxx

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Those sound like better circumstances than with my friend's cat, so I think you're going to be fine! If your kitty loves heat there's not much else you can do. Some cats are just like that!

blurinoctober, Jan 29, 2013
  11. Scottyxx

steph84 Well-Known Member

Whoa! I have never heard of a kitty who was drawn to flames. I Do have a kitty who is a little dare devil and will try to jump on the stove to see what I am cooking. He also likes to smell the heater and it freaks me out because it is so hot. My cats are also attracted to my hot laptop. Maybe they just like the warmth?

steph84, Feb 5, 2013
  12. Scottyxx

She loves the warmth! I think thats what it must be, ive found her sleeping on our router before and she was too hot to hold!! She also sleeps on our heating vents too, she even likes to tunnel under us in bed and sleep between me and my bf.

Scottyxx, Feb 6, 2013
  13. Scottyxx

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Maybe you could buy some of those flameless candles that are so popular nowadays. They look like flickering candles but they don't get hot, so Pussington wouldn't burn her whiskers off. As you've mentioned, she's beautiful but stupid, so you have to protect her from herself by not having flames around her.

ACSAPA, Feb 28, 2013
  14. Scottyxx

My boyfriend was playing with his lighter last night, and basically had a flame burning...of course Pussington came running along and was mesmerized by the flame! Girl be crazy! Candles are now a nogo.

Scottyxx, Feb 28, 2013
  15. Scottyxx

Trellum Well-Known Member

Bob feels curious at first whenever he spots a candle or something like that, but he would never get so close... not to the point of burning his whiskers :O Same with my dogs :) When they are little they tend to be a bit reckless, same goes for cats.

Trellum, Jan 8, 2014
  16. Scottyxx

cassie New Member

We have a fireplace and my kitty, Charlie, loves the warmth and watching the fire. I had 2 other cats like this at my parents house. They never actually touched the flame that I saw, but all 3 would get so close that their whiskers start to curl and sometimes break off at the ends because of the heat. None of them have been negatively affected by it that I've ever noticed. Charlie is indoor but Calvin, at my parents', wasn't, and he still had no trouble catching and killing whatever without all of his whiskers. They always grow back.

cassie, Mar 1, 2015
Ask a Question